Beak injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Arkansas
1st ill go through the run down 4 temps night 80 daytime cool side 80 basking 101 warm side 97 humidity 80%. Closed chamber tortoise table substrate is coco coir. Tanks beak has a hole in the top front I dnt know what caused it he been normal eating vigorously pooping soak 30 min in the morning & evening. I just dnt understand how it happened.

image-899926997.png

Is there anything I can do should I go to the vet. He was fine when I left for work

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I've never had a tort with a broken beak, so I cannot offer any advice on medical treatment.

As far as a cause, is there another tort living in the enclosure?

Could he have taken a nose dive off of a hide or some other enclosure decor?

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
No he the only one....... as far as a nose dive I'm way too paranoid I have it set up so he can only walk in and out of his hide there's no climbing I even have his water level with his substrate no other decor. Just some grass that's planted

He does love to burrow tho

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I know they are totally different but if it helps at all I've worked with a few birds that had chiped or broken beaks and they were fine after they learned to use it

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
There's no rocks in the habitat I sifted through the substrate thanks tho

I do have cuttle bone in there for him I'll take it out. He doesn't seem effected I put him in his soak and then after he ate all his food and then went to his hide to sleep. I'll update again in the morning

Oh I hope it's not permanent. I'm going to see the vet tomorrow.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Usually chips and holes are permanent however it won't hurt him and since he's still small when he's full grown you'll hardly notice it

But definitely go to the vet

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Just to chime in 1 more time. My Cooper has a chiped lower beak, but to my understanding it will grow out sooner or later, which I believe since my Russian had to have her way over grown beak trim'd and its looking like I am going to have to do it again pretty soon as its get'n pretty long again.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
I was afraid of that I was reading through some threads and curious if it might grow together maybe since beaks can get overgrown. But I'm pretty much grasping at any lil bit of hope right now

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I'm sorry I didn't realize that tortoise beaks grew like that so in that case it probly will grow out then

mytortET

5 Year Member
Awww... poor little thing! Seems like a good sign that he's eating, pooping and behaving normally. :shy:

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
Well it doesn't seem to be bothering him he chomping away on his greens mixed with some zoomed.

Question could this be a calcium deficiency? (Misspelled I'm sure) I stopped giving it to him 3 wks ago because the green I feed have calcium in em and I was scared of giving too much calcium

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
Well, Tank going to be ok our vet said it would heal nothing perminent :)
Reccommended I start giving calcuim again as preventive measures but remove the cuttle bone until he is a little bigger. He was also able to get a sample of his poop since tank decided the table was an exellent place to relax and get comfortable :rolleyes: He didn't see anything unsual with his poop when he checked it which is good.

Now I can relax and breath.........see he not just a pet I think of him as one of my kids (which is why I keep hoping he's a boy :D )

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
could it possibly be his lower beak wore a little hole into the upper? I have absolutely no clue with this type of stuff I am just asking because I am curious.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
Good question......it wasn't brought up by the vet he was leaning more toward the fact where the chip out part is he bit down on something that was too hard for him. Since the cuttle bone was the only other thing beside his hide and water dish (hope he's not trying to eat that) it had to go. I will be keeping track and making notes on the healing procesS.

Status
Not open for further replies.