Beak Discoloration?

Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
My tortoise is a african spurred tortoise, the beak used to be darker. now it looks almost white. any idea whats going on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Most probably there is nothing to worry about (dark colored layer just wears off when eating). This dark color might be result of excessive UVB/heat exposure or substrate.

How do you keep him now? What lamps to you use for heating/light and UVB? What kind of substrate? What are temperatures in the enclosure (day/night ambient and at the basking spot)? What humidity level?

Wayland, NY
i use a small uvb tube light, along with a uvb/uva lamp. i also have a CHE to keep it warmer in there. the temp is almost always in the mid to high 80s, the humidity is around 75 (my fogger stopped working so ive been spraying the enclosure w a spray bottle). and i use coconut fiber substrate

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sounds nice! But what type of UVA/UVB lamp do you use? Maybe you have a photo of the packaging?

To keep humidity high, try not to use a fogger or spray substrate surface, but pour some water in the corners. This makes lower layer damp and top layer dry and helps to keep humidity high for longer periods.

If you use coconut fiber (not coir) it could give off some color when wet, maybe that's the reason for overall darker colors of your guy. Just in case, coconut fiber is not the best option as a substrate (because of fibers, actually).

Wayland, NY
Sounds nice! But what type of UVA/UVB lamp do you use? Maybe you have a photo of the packaging?

To keep humidity high, try not to use a fogger or spray substrate surface, but pour some water in the corners. This makes lower layer damp and top layer dry and helps to keep humidity high for longer periods.

If you use coconut fiber (not coir) it could give off some color when wet, maybe that's the reason for overall darker colors of your guy. Just in case, coconut fiber is not the best option as a substrate (because of fibers, actually).
i am using a mini halogen lamp, and a HO tube. is there an optimal substrate? ive seen so many things online i don’t know which to believe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Use a regular incandescent bulb (old-fashioned with tungsten spirals) for basking spot (heat and visible light). Halogen lamps are too drying for shell and this eventualy results in pyramiding (bumpy shell).

T5 tubes are the best source of UVB, but I need to check if the one you have provides enough UV levels (it's only 8 watt and mention geckos). I will reply back on the result a bit later. If there is a leaflet with technical data inside or mounting height recommendations - you can post a photo, I'll check it.

For the substrate orchid (fir, not pine) bark, cypress mulch and coco coir (fine grinded, soil-like substance) work best. You can check if garden centers have it (would be cheaper than buying from a pet store).

You can check this long post on tortoise care and sulcata care sheet at the bottom of that post:

This is probably most up-to-date and accurate information you'll be able to find on the Internet.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am not an expert, however, I have cared for numerous Sulcata and seen this before. I have had a few whose beak did that and in my cases it was a substrate staining, and when I put them on a better substrate the wet food cleaned the beak. I really only guessed back then...I don't think it's anything to worry about. Look at his front legs and plastron...the same thing will happen to them...I think it's just dirty...