Be careful what you ask for - Help Me!

awesomecs

5 Year Member
please help me I am not definatly getting a new tortoise for Christmas..... I DONT WANT THEM TO FIGHT OR MATE TOO MUCH WHAT DO I DO its no were near Christmas but I'm making sure I'm prepared so please help me thank you

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
if you don't want them to fight or mate keep them separate

awesomecs

5 Year Member
thanks guys would it work if I put them in 2 different enclosure and then put them together everyday to mate? I'm getting a male

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I fell so good that people responded right away that makes me trust the forums even more btw can I keep a Russian tortoise and a American toad in the same pen?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't no benefit to either animal by keeping them together

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Sarah...tell your family you've made a mistake and don't want another tortoise at this time.

Russian tortoises require a pretty big space. It's much easier to keep them outside than inside. Indoors, a 4x8 habitat would be about right and there aren't too many bedrooms that can have two 4x8 habitats in them comfortably.

Last edited:

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I'm with Sarah...tell your family you've made a mistake and don't want another tortoise at this time.

Russian tortoises require a pretty big space. It's muche easier to keep them outside than inside. Indoors, a 4x8 habitat would be about right and there aren't too many bedrooms that can have two 4x8 habitats in them comfortably.

thanks I have just space for another enclosure I just need themto breed once a day not every minute and I can care for them all that's just the problem
I can care for 2 I just don't know how to breed thm without them getting hurt

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Without a very large enclosure and/or close supervision, you won't be able to prevent the female from getting hurt. Breeding her everyday is not going to be a kindness. Your parents are aware how much space each tortoise will need, right? Maybe invite them to come on to the forum to read about what is involved with keeping and breeding Russian tortoises with you - so you all know what you are getting in to.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Without a very large enclosure and/or close supervision, you won't be able to prevent the female from getting hurt. Breeding her everyday is not going to be a kindness. Your parents are aware how much space each tortoise will need, right? Maybe invite them to come on to the forum to read about what is involved with keeping and breeding Russian tortoises with you - so you all know what you are getting in to.

I was actually thinking of having them in 2 different enclosures and once a day let them breed once a day

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And when the time comes for her to lay eggs is she going to be able to go outside where she needs to be in order to dig a deep enough nest to deposit the eggs in? Or is she going to be stuck indoors and become egg boung because conditions aren't right for nesting?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
And when the time comes for her to lay eggs is she going to be able to go outside where she needs to be in order to dig a deep enough nest to deposit the eggs in? Or is she going to be stuck indoors and become egg boung because conditions aren't right for nesting?

well I take her outside for most of the time and I know how to check for eggs so if she dose have eggs ill take her outside for most of the day until she doesn't seem interested in laying but if she dose lay eggs indoors with a really high heat lamp will it make the eggs burn her soil is moist thoe and if I have her heat lamp on in the winter will she be tempted to lay eggs and yes the dirt is deep enough

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It might be worth starting a discussion in the breeder section with an explanation of how you plan on keeping and breeding your Russians.

I know many species dig for quite a long time - and sometimes very late at night - which may not be tolerable with your school schedule. I don't know how much luck people have with getting Russians to lay safely indoors, but I imagine you will want to disturb her as little as possible if she is trying to dig a nest, so carrying her inside and outside may discourage her laying.

There are a lot of expert breeders here, so you (and your parents) should seek out their advice before you attempt to breed your female. It sounds like you still haven't accepted the requirements and potential risks involved in breeding so make sure you continue your research with your family before you undertake this task.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
It might be worth starting a discussion in the breeder section with an explanation of how you plan on keeping and breeding your Russians.

I know many species dig for quite a long time - and sometimes very late at night - which may not be tolerable with your school schedule. I don't know how much luck people have with getting Russians to lay safely indoors, but I imagine you will want to disturb her as little as possible if she is trying to dig a nest, so carrying her inside and outside may discourage her laying.

There are a lot of expert breeders here, so you (and your parents) should seek out their advice before you attempt to breed your female. It sounds like you still haven't accepted the requirements and potential risks involved in breeding so make sure you continue your research with your family before you undertake this task.

well if I check her for eggs and I was thinking if she has them I could leave her alone would that work?

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
Are you jsut starting off with tortoise keeping? If that is the case maybe consider not trying to breed right away but rather learn everything there is to keeping your species before. Mating puts a lot of stress on the female (essentially the male keeps biting her until she lets him mount him/gets to tired to run away). Doing this every day will stress out your tortoise. Also, are you ready to care for the eggs? Incubators take up space as well. Finally, do you have space for a hatchling enclosure and are you ready to take care of baby tortoises?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
oh I got everything for the babys I just don't know how to breed them without them getting hurt should I do it once a week?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Maybe you should start with reading some books about breeding tortoises? You seem to underestimate it. ;)

Mating is quite stressful, I'm sure your Tory doesn't want to be raped every week (or even every day). Once a year would be enough to get fertile eggs, the females can store sperm for years.
But when you now get a male you should not put them together, new tortoises should be quarantined for at least six months. Then you need a MUCH larger enclosure, it would be dangerous to let them meet in a small kiddie pool.

Do you have a place for brumation? Because if you want to start breeding them in 2017 it might be necessary to let them brumate next year.