bats! i love them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
VERY good info, Rebekah. I think I'm beginning to feel a tinge of obsession with these animals...

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I don't hate bats, but would never tolerate them in my house. I watched a (PBS? Animal Planet?) show some years ago and one of the factoids I retained from it was that in the majority of cases when people die from rabies of an unknown source, it is bat rabies. That's enough for me to stay away from them.

One of the program's points of advice was that people and bats should never inhabit the same buidings.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I love bats too. When I was 18 I rented my first house, and I had this really cool attic bedroom. I could hear a clicking noise coming from the door jam one night, so I popped the trim off and there was this little bat. I ended up tacking some black cloth to the ceiling and he lived there. I left my bedroom window open and he would fly in and out at night. Definitely cool, especially for a Goth chick like me!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Here's a picture I took in Costa Rica. There are bats camouflaged on a tree- can you see them?!
(hint: they're in a clump towards the center of the tree trunk)

101_1925.jpg

And I had a dream about a rabid bat the other night; pretty sure I have this thread to thank for that ;)

moswen

5 Year Member
oh that's amazing! they look like furry/mossy bumps all over the tree! it's kinda gross to look at acutally... but an amazing pic! lol, sorry for causing you a rabid bat dream... i'll try to make amends for you some how!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I don't know of a whole lotta things that are as cute as baby vampires...

14myh6e.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Eeee what an awesome picture!!!

moswen

5 Year Member
oooooohhh dean that is the cutest picture i've ever seen! how precious!

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Bats are great as long as they don't live with you!:p Are house had tons of bats in our attic when we moved in. Didn't know till we moved in. That was 17 years ago. Their feces ended up where I plant flowers and At some point, I developed histoplasmosis and now have perminent scars in my eyes. They were getting in a crack behind our chimney that was on the side of our house. We tore the chimney down which exposed the hole they were using. They would fly out at night and then we plugged the hole once they were out. Did that till they were all gone. Then had to bleach the attic and replace the insulation. It was a nightmare.

I do like the look of the one's in the last post though. A lot more cute than the ones we had. :p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Jenilyn said:
i couldnt let this die without adding this.

049bats_800x550.jpg

baby-bats-in-blankets-cute.jpg

Is that you? Those shots are GREAT! Are they flying foxes or Indian fruit bats?

Fyreflye

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Jenilyn said:
no, dean not me. its so cute! it was on a website i frequent.

Is that in Australia? I remember reading an article a few years ago about baby bats that were orphaned in severe weather, and were being raised by rescuers.

I have a fondness for bats, i think that they are adorable!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Bats are strange creatures to me, but I guess they are like most thing's and you can appreciate them once you get past all the myths they have attached to them.

R

Really_Great

aww I love bats! they are adorable! I dont understand why people are afraid of them since they dont bite humans:)
I watched some Animal planet show about bats and now I really wish I could adopt one!:)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I live just north of Austin. If you are ever in the area, you might want to check this out. Kind of cool...Not Carlsbad Cavern, but pretty darn close.

About Congress Bridge Bats Austin

The Congress Avenue Bridge spans Town Lake in downtown Austin and is home to the largest urban bat colony in North America. The colony is estimated at 1.5 million Mexican free-tail bats. Each night from mid-March to November, the bats emerge from under the bridge at dusk to blanket the sky as they head out to forage for food. This event has become one of the most spectacular and unusual tourist attractions in Texas. The most spectacular bat flights are during hot, dry August nights, when multiple columns of bats emerge. There are several points from which to view the event, and an information kiosk is located on the north bank of the river, just east of the bridge.

Bats Season is Mid-March to Early November

Three Cool Ways to View the Bats

1. Capital Cruises Bat Watching Tours
Capital Cruises Austin is home of the Largest Electric Paddle Wheel Boat in the Country and the now famous Sunset Bat Watching excursion. This tour fills up nearly every night during bat season some times a few days in advance. Use this link to Capital Cruises Bat Watching and Sightseeing Tours for more info. Prices are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, and $5 for kids. You need to arrive about 30 minutes before sunset for this one and buying tickets in advance is frequently required. This tour sells out almost every night during the summer, so we recommend you buy tickets in advance

2. Kayak Bat Watching Tours from Live Love Paddle
In the heat of the summer, watching the bats from a Live Love Paddle kayak tour is the way to go. Tours start at Joe's Crab Shack on Lady Bird Lake where you kayak up the lake to see the bats emerge. The minimum weight on bat-watching tours is 30 lbs and maximum weight is 275 lbs. Tours start just before dusk and times vary with the season. Prices are $38.50 per person and tandem boats are available. Rumor has it the view from the water of Austin's downtown skyline is almost as amazing as the bats themselves. These tours fill up, we highly recommend you make a reservation.

3. Bike Tour from Austin Bike Tours and Rentals
Another cool way to see the bats is from an Austin Bike Tours and Rentals bicycle tour. They mix in half day of downtown Austin activities. You get to choose from different activities that includes Frisbee golf at Pease Park, pitch and putt at Butler Park, a visit to Barton Springs Pool in Zilker Park, and some biking around Austin's Lady Bird Lake. Talk about a tour of Austin's great outdoor lifestyle! Then they finish up with some good old fashion sightseeing with a stop at the Congress Bridge Bats. You may want to buy tickets in advance as space is limited to the number of available bikes. Prices are just $35 per person and you can learn more by visiting the Austin Bike Tours and Rentals listing.

Where to Eat while Visiting the Bats

1. Zax Restaurant and Bar
Zax is a casual, upscale restaurant and bar located just south of downtown that caters to a range of clientele. The ambiance of the dining room, with bright light, warm wood floors and vaulted wood ceiling, reminds one of a secluded lodge in the heart of the city. Zax caters to all dining styles - with quaint indoor seating areas, an outdoor patio, and a copper bar that seats up to 20. They're locally owned and operated. There is no direct bat viewing from the restaurant, but they do have free convenient customer parking about a block away from the bats. Remeber the bats emerge at dusk and you may want to book a reservation at Zax to make sure you time it right to work in viewing the bats.

2. Shoreline Grill
Located across from the bats main departure point, Shoreline Grill offers a good view of the bats departure. It is locally owned and operated and they don't serve anything from environmentally unfriendly fish farms or politically controversial sea zones which highlights a little of Austin's green personality. Shoreline is a very upscale establishment and their prices reflect the extra attention to detail. Most fish entrees cost between $20 and $30 a plate and steak entrees are a little more. They do have one of the best seafood menus in Austin. Here's a link to Online Reservations if you need it.

Directions to Congress Bridge Bat Watching AustinCongress Avenue is one of 4 downtown bridges that connect downtown Austin to the South side of Lady Bird Lake (formerly Town Lake). The bats are best viewed from the Southeast corner of the bridge. Parking is hard to find down here, hence why parking we suggest you catch a bite at Zax and park in their lot:)

From Mopac: Head towards downtown and take the 1st and 5th street exit. Follow 1st Street past Lamar Blvd until you get to Congress Avenue. Turn right on Congress and the bats will be ahead on your left.

From IH-35: Head downtown and exit Riverside Drive. Follow Riverside Drive East to Congress Avenue. The bats will be a block or two on your right.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Status
Not open for further replies.