Bathtime sneezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hi guys!

I tend not to bathe Peter, because normally he absolutely hates it. The only times he gets a bath is when he's just awoken from hibernation or when there was a temperature drop. Don't even try to make him take a bath when the temperatures are up, (but a shower with the watering can is appreciated) or he'll try to kill you in your sleep!

Here it has been raining for the last two days and the temperatures have gone down quite a bit. Futhermore Peter had a vet visit a few days ago, where some old scar tissue was partially scraped away from his shell. So I decided to make him take a bath so he could warm up a bit and so that I could take a look at his shell.

I NEVER see him drink while taking a bath (or anytime else), rather he seems almost confused by the concept. He will dip his nose underwater for a short time, but only 2 seconds or so. After 1-2 dips he will sneeze underwater, just like you would if water had entered your nose while swimming. Once he has sneezed he will continue to sneeze and will try to scrape his head against his legs. To do that he will put his head underwater, which will cause him to sneeze more. This is usually the moment I take him out... :tort:

I'm a bit confused, has anyone else had experience with something like this?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Has anyone else seen behaviour like that before?

I maybe need to add that for ~58 years he never had a waterbowl in his enclosure, but he's wild caught, so he should have encountered water puddles and such...?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. What species is he? I'd think he would have seen at least a small amount of puddled water, like you said. But, is it possible that where he's from, he would only drink the condensation dripping from leaves? That might explain why he's confused.

My guys drink out of their bath water all the time and I have a water dish for them. Here's Darwin, multitasking. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] ImageUploadedByTortForum1376139303.104313.jpg

Ps: I did changed her water, as soon as she got out of it...then she right back in! LOL!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] @ YWG
Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE]& Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE]

Last edited by a moderator:

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Hi!

Darwin is so adorable! :O
He's a Hermann's tortoise. He does spend a LOT of time outside whenever it is raining, and I have found urates in his water bowl.

He seems well hydrated so I do not worry all that much but I was really surprised when I noticed him sneezing for the first time.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you wish, you could try slanting your soaking container. Have about 2 inches of water in the deep end and only a fourth of an inch in the shallow end. Put the tort in with the head at the shallow end and the tail in the water. He may find that this give him options on how deep the water is in relation to his body. And keep the water luke warm. About 90 degrees F.

Good luck.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My sulcata and redfoot does this all the time. My observation is they are clearing their noses...

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I've wanted to try the slanting thing for a while now, but I only have ultra slippery containers, so I will be looking for an appropriate container. I'd like to try a container where he could get out of the water as well, to see whether he dislikes the water or not. Maybe one of those containers for painting the walls would work.

@mainey34: So does it stop after a few minutes or does it just continue? I just take him out at that moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.