Bathing Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Hi I got a 3 inch long Russian tortoise, I do bathe him but just out of curiosity how much water do I put in how deep? If you say enough to under his shell that's like 0.5-1cm , and how long for in Luke warm water? I know it depends on if he needs a real good soak or not, but is there a too little and a maximum amount of time?

Is it okay to have Normal Tap Water

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
skmackley2 said:
Hi I got a 3 inch long Russian tortoise, I do bathe him but just out of curiosity how much water do I put in how deep? If you say enough to under his shell that's like 0.5-1cm , and how long for in Luke warm water? I know it depends on if he needs a real good soak or not, but is there a too little and a maximum amount of time?

Is it okay to have Normal Tap Water

Everyone has a different opinion. Personally I don't think it matters much. 5 minutes is enough. 5 hours won't hurt him. I like to go about a third of the way up the tortoise, and my water is about 90 degrees. I tend to soak longer if they've been out in the hot dry sun, and shorter if they've been indoors buried in their damp coco coir substrate or in their humid hide box.

If the tap water is safe for you to drink, it should be safe for your tortoise. I have used tap water here for decades.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone! Yeah water is safe drink loads of it, so 1/4 what happens if it reaches his bin or nose? Will he know to lift his head up or will he drown :O

skmackley2

5 Year Member
How so often do I do these bathes because I need to put him a water tray in, so how long and when in the week?

james1974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I bath my greeks once a week about fifteen to twenty minutes 1/4 way up the shell.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.