Basking alot

yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
Hello everyone, i have realized that my yearling hermann has been basking alot recently like maybe 5-6 hours a day. I looked it up and was confused becuse everyone said that it could be becuse of low temps but his temps are good, ambinent 76-78 warm area 83-84, basking 90-95. But i now realized today that the reason he has been basking so much is likely becuse of over misting and the water used to mist being to cold. So i am going to start misting less and when i do mist make sure the water i use is warm and also try and mist more on the plants and grass in his enclosure instead of the substarte to avoid the substate getting so cold and wet which as i implied i think is the reason for the recent increse in basking.
He has no signs of a URI or anything like that and is completely healty. I know this since i went to a vet for a checkup and x-ray and everything seemed very good with him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't mist at all. I do water down the substrate in all my tort tables using hot water, being careful to not disturb any animal. I'm not sure that matters, but it's how I do it

yay14

stockholm
I don't mist at all. I do water down the substrate in all my tort tables using hot water, being careful to not disturb any animal. I'm not sure that matters, but it's how I do it
Yea i usually pour some warm water under the lamp in the morning. I have also thought that a reason for him basking more right now could be becuse hes been getting more food so he has food during the day when he usually has finished it all, and he likes to bask after he eats so i am guessing he could be in sort of a loop of eating and basking and thats why hes basking more, so i am going to cut down the food a little also.

yay14

stockholm
How much time a day would you say is normal for a yearling hermann to spend under the basking light?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How much time a day would you say is normal for a yearling hermann to spend under the basking light?
I really don't have an answer for you. They seem to bask off and on thru out the day. My Sulcata seem to bask most of the day, box turtles bask in the ambient heat, not under a light. @HermanniChris is our go-to expert on Hemanni he will help you