banging his beak

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Yesterday Freddy began to bang his head against his enclosure wall (wood), and today he was doing the same thing while also opening his mouth as if to bite it. His beak is overgrown, so it may be him just trying to file it down, but it still concerned me has he has never done it. Has anyone encountered similar behavior before?

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I can't seem to post a video. He goes to the wall and bangs. He also opens his mouth and kind of twitches.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Does he have something stuck in his mouth? Have you tried a long warm soak??? I will also post in your "Freddy's diet" thread. Maybe have few ideas you can use

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Does he have something stuck in his mouth? Have you tried a long warm soak??? I will also post in your "Freddy's diet" thread. Maybe have few ideas you can use

I did give him a soak and the idea of something being lodged in his mouth or his nose did occur to me. I`m going to keep an eye and hope it`s not an RI or other serious issue, he does sometimes huff for no apparent reason.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Just scanned through your threads so have better idea about Freddy's environment. Put him in a sink and give warm shower, rinsing thoroughly his head/neck, flushing eyes and face really well under a very good light. I always put my medical headlight on when worried about my pets. Some of the problems can be very small in size, especially foreign body in the eye. Look for any abnormality. Rinse and wipe with your hand from tip of his nose towards the back repetitively under warm water few times, then take another good look at his face, eyes, nose, mouth. Then take few close up pictures and post, front and side view, hope you have good resolution camera. I'll be looking for your posts. Maybe we can figure this out

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Thanks, off to work now put ill see give him another soak monday. I have some pics of him posted, as well as on russiantortoisepictures, but all were taken with my iphone. I have never taken him to the vet, and im not sure if my mom has ever either, at least not since he was a baby. He has finished eating and is basking right now.