Bananas, Corned Beef and they're not baby grapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I found bananas on 2 trees, never had them this early in spring,Maybe they will have time to grow and ripen. they usually show up later and the cold weather kills them. Is corned beef (in the can like spam) hard to find where you live? It has not been in the stores around here for months.One of the stores down the road found a brand named Hereford at $4.89 a can. And the baby grapes from an earlier thread are not grapes they are flower buds that haven't bloomed yet.Yvonne G said that they were probably tart, so I tasted some,they taste like grass, not much flavor,I will taste them again when they turn into unripe baby grapes. Len

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
RE: Bananas, Corned Beef and their not baby grapes

They should ripen.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Very cool, would love to see the photo when they ripen..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

I worked on a banana farm on Saipan for some time. I'm sure climate and other factors between there and where you are would make the ripening season different, but you should see them ripen in about 2 - 3 months. Do you know what type of banana they are?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

I have not seen corned beef in a can in 18 yearrs, but I have not looked for it. My mom used to get it in huge cans when she owned a restraunt. I think we call them #10 cans. She might have gotten them from Smart and Final. Not sure. It was awful stuff, but some people loved it.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

I have not seen corned beef in a can in 18 yearrs, but I have not looked for it. My mom used to get it in huge cans when she owned a restraunt. I think we call them #10 cans. She might have gotten them from Smart and Final. Not sure. It was awful stuff, but some people loved it.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii

Ive got 15 banana plants on the property. Haven't had bananas in a little while, but love it when we do. Corned beef is like a staple food here along with Spam.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California

onarock said:
Ive got 15 banana plants on the property. Haven't had bananas in a little while, but love it when we do. Corned beef is like a staple food here along with Spam.

I can't stand spam! My son loves it though....it must be the Filipino side of him :p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

What is your favorite type of Spam Paul?

In Guam they had Tabasco Spam...my personal favorite.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii

Neal, tobasco and teriyaki are my favorite. I like spam musabi, its like nigiri sushi, lightly browned spam on a block of steamed white rice wrapped in nori.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Never head of teriyaki spam, you'll have to send me a can.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming

The summer before I left the Ft. Peck Sioux and Assiniboine reservation, a guy came to my house and tried to sell me a case of Spam. It was part of his commodities, and he was trying to turn it for some cash. I lived there for 14 years, and only REALLY learned how commodities worked that last summer. Wow. Anyway, I didn't think I could handle even one can, let alone a case LOL.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I put 10 bags of food together every month for my church to give out to people in need . I refuse to put Spam, boxed Mac-n-cheese, or Top Romen in the bags. So I am cracking up over people actually having a favorite type of Spam.

I put 10 bags of food together every month for my church to give out to people in need . I refuse to put Spam, boxed Mac-n-cheese, or Top Romen in the bags. So I am cracking up over people actually having a favorite type of Spam.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Its really popular in Hawaii. Its a WWII thing.

Angi, you should try adding some fried Spam to the Top Ramen, along with chopped green onion, a touch of Aloha Shoyu and Hawaiian Chili Pepper Water. Broke Da Mout!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
When I was growing up if we didn't have spam on the boat we wouldn't catch any fish, so always had spam onboard. Len--Grilled cheese sandwich with spam and a slice of tomato all melted together-

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Onarock, I am sure it taste good, but is SOOOOOO bad for you. I do have to admit that my son talked me in to buying him Top Ramen once :) The kids like to crush it up in the bag and mix the spices (or MSG and sodium) in and eat it right out of the bag.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Onarock, I am sure it taste good, but is SOOOOOO bad for you. I do have to admit that my son talked me in to buying him Top Ramen once :) The kids like to crush it up in the bag and mix the spices (or MSG and sodium) in and eat it right out of the bag.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My mother didn't inherit the "cooking gene" that my aunts and grandmother have...so we ate Spam about 3X a week...Just one more reason I ran away from home at !5...

There's no way to make that crap palatable, and I won't ever feed it to my family...so far, they've not complained.

Corned beef hash, otoh... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.