bad thing happened to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I saw an ad on the classified section of another forum, advertising for '08 Three Toed box turtles....$70 and $30 for shipping. Since I mind my Grandson every day, and he always helps me with my animals, I promised him a little boxie for Easter, which would live here with me and I would help him take care of it every day. I sent this guy a money order for $100. He was keeping in touch, and told me when the money order arrived. Then he told me that something happened with his bank account...someone got into it and took his money...so he wouldn't be able to send me the turtle for a while until his bank account got cleared up or until someone gave his wife money that was owed to her. I waited for a week and then he tells me that he has to wait for his SS check as he is on disability. That was March 25th. Still no Three Toed. He tells me that he is a Christian man and would never do this to someone. Now I see him looking to get some $750 boxie on another forum....also he is advertising his 08 Three Toed's on still another forum. It took a long time for my Grandson to save $25.oo doing chores for everyone in the neighborhood, and I told him that was enough and I put in the rest for an Easter present and for doing loads of chores for me too. This was so devastating for him (and me too). I put in two complaints on the forums that he is advertising on. Now the guy is telling me that I am ruining his good Christian name by complaining about him on two different animal forums. I have learned a valuable lesson here. Unfortunately it cost $100. Still waiting for the boxie....Just venting a little here..........

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Keep complaining. You could almost contact the police, if you still have the receipt for the MO. Tell them that the guy ripped you off. Or just tell that Box turtle guy that you ARE calling the police and see what he does.

Its horrible that he took advantage of you like that. Makes me sick. I would keep hollering till something was done. Your poor little nephew...

Is it that same guy HERE that is offering babies for $65 plus 40 shipping? If it is, let a mod know right away.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
NEVER send money orders to people advertising on Craigs List!!!!!!!!!! So many scams.....Report him and turn him into the police for fraud/scams. They hurt so many people and it needs to be stopped!!!
Im sorry you got burned..
and Im sorry.. People saying they are a good church going person... means NOTHING to me anymore.. Pedophiles, rapists, child murderers in the news who all belong to church.. They hide behind that.. so wrong..
Im NOT saying all people who go to church are bad or church itself is bad.. just the excuse they use... Its wrong and it means nothing to me anymore when they use it..
Again.. Im sorry you got scammed... please report it fully.. Also be sure to read the craig list warnings.

In fact... if you post his contact info... maybe we can all give him a piece of our minds! HA! Make him make good, if he even HAS a turtle to sell!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Don't stop complaining and warning people about him no matter what he says. He's a loser preying on trusting people and you could be the one who warns another off. Until you get what you paid for, keep hounding that idiot!!

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but if he keeps his turtles like he keeps his word, then you probably didn't want them anyway! I doubt he even has any now.

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't just let this guy win. Call the police and keep complaining about him on those other forums. If you have the receipt from the money order you can call them and they will help. Remember...it's the squeekie wheel that gets the grease...He is expecting you to just give up. But don't....don't let him win. It's a battle you are in now and you can't just give up...
And I forgot to say I am sorry this is happening to you...I have also had something like this happen and it makes you feel yucky...
also if he had you send that MO to a post office box this becomes a federal thing...and that is really on your side...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
and keep good notes of all your contacts with him and calls and what was said. make copies of what you can.. print his ad etc...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Seems to me that there were a couple ads here on the forum for baby box turtles. I would trust our people before sending money to another forum. Sorry you were taken advantage of. Hard lesson for a youngster to have to learn so early in life. Here's hoping the guy makes good.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you. It wasn't on Craig's list ...Kingsnake. Now he is advertising on FaunaClassifieds. Someone wrote to me and told me he was advertising there. I answered him on the forum, (which was bad manners...I'm sure) and he answered me.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131009
He is in Cal. and I am in NY so I don't think there is anything that I can do. He keeps telling me that I am ruining his good Christian name, and that he talked to a lawyer friend of his and he said I am slandering him. I don't think I have ever intentionally hurt any one in my life. I am not a whiner, believe me, and have many bad things happen to me in my life.....I just feel very bad for my Grandson, who doesn't have much of a life, except when he is with me.
I took a copy of the money order, but unfortunately, not of the e-mails he sent me. I will keep waiting.......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
On March 5, 2009, James Mapes posted on the WCT YAHOO list the following:

Hello Everyone: My name is James Mapes. I have been interested in chelonians
ever since i came across my first Texas tortoise(Gopherus berlanderi) AND my
first Ornate box turtle. Currently i have two baby 3-toed box turtles and two
baby eastern box turtles. All are captive bred and born animals. I ONLY buy CB
turtles!! Next week i will be getting a baby(2008) Gulf coast box turtle to add
to my collection. Does anyone know where i can purchase live ready to eat snails
and slugs? When it rains here i give my babies small slugs and snails. They LOVE
them. I look forward to being a member of this group and learning more about my
beloved chelonians.

Sincerely,
james mapes
(From texas....)
Napa,CA

So, my question is, if he's introducing himself on another list and showing the animals that he has in his collection, where are the 3-toed babies that he wants to sell to Terryo? He also had a couple posts there where he wanted people to join his facebook.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

terryo said:
Thank you. It wasn't on Craig's list ...Kingsnake. Now he is advertising on FaunaClassifieds. Someone wrote to me and told me he was advertising there. I answered him on the forum, (which was bad manners...I'm sure) and he answered me.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131009
He is in Cal. and I am in NY so I don't think there is anything that I can do. He keeps telling me that I am ruining his good Christian name, and that he talked to a lawyer friend of his and he said I am slandering him. I don't think I have ever intentionally hurt any one in my life. I am not a whiner, believe me, and have many bad things happen to me in my life.....I just feel very bad for my Grandson, who doesn't have much of a life, except when he is with me.
I took a copy of the money order, but unfortunately, not of the e-mails he sent me. I will keep waiting.......

Terry...Please don't take such as passive attitude. There is a lot you can do and this jerk IS expecting you to just give up. So you make it a crusade...you keep on posting and ruining his good Christian name. You contact the money order people...you contact the post office it is a federal offense to use the mail for bad things...Believe me I know...I have been on the wrong side of the law often...Please don't just give up...fight this guy for your grandson...
have to called the police? the post office? anybody? I am so mad...I just want to yell at you fight this guy...don't give up...not mad at you...I'm mad at him...

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
You can't slander a guilty person. He has been given both a chance to send the 3toed, and the money back. He has chosen a different path, which makes him guilty. Slander, slander, slander until he gives your money back. Your right, he is wrong, and it was his choice to conduct business in the manor he did. Let us know what happins!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yes, Please keep yelling. Or he will continue to do it to others, and more people like him will get away with it.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well that is just plain out wrong I'm sorry Terry, I know we have just had a Lawyer join the forum maybe he will jump in here an let you know some more of your options. :D I hope everything works out

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
he has two options give your money back in full or ship a HEALTHY turtle. Weather permitting of course. and to COMUNICATE with you.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
If you email me his information and the links where he is selling other torts I’ll send him a letter on my firm’s letterhead that should get his attention. Be happy to do so.

I hate seeing people get scammed, especially a child like your grandson.

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
Don't send people money what I do is pay when I recieve the tortoises I was on fauna classifieds the other day and another person said the exact same thing

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would definately keep going with this Terry.

Shelber10 than that just makes it possible for someone to recieve an animal and not pay. I've had a few friends do that and not get paid.
So I won't do that. If you want an animal you have to pay for it first. But I do keep in contact before, during and after a sale. I've had plenty of people in the past say they were sending money for animals and never did. If I had sent out those animals I'd be out the animals and the money.

Danny

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Have you started "bad guy" threads on Fauna and Kingsnake? Is he listed on Fauna at all already, probably as a bad guy? If he is update that thread or start a new one about him. Choose your words carefully but don't be too soft on him either, just tell the story like it is. The folks on that forum can REALLY give a guy a hard time ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Clementine_3 said:
Have you started "bad guy" threads on Fauna and Kingsnake? Is he listed on Fauna at all already, probably as a bad guy? If he is update that thread or start a new one about him. Choose your words carefully but don't be too soft on him either, just tell the story like it is. The folks on that forum can REALLY give a guy a hard time ;)

On fauna there is literally hundreds of complains against him...

Status
Not open for further replies.