Bad dream

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I woke up in a panic and had to check the temperature of my wireless weather station in my outdoor sulcata heated night box.

I guess it all started when my wife sent me a picture of a cat sitting in my Redfoot enclosure and that a cold front moved in.

I dreamt that the temp on the weather Was bouncing between 11 and zero degrees. I grabbed my IR temp gun and ran outside in my underwear to find that it was 11 degrees in the box because I had left the lid open. I can remember that I thought he should be fine because he was raised in cold country with his previous owner. I stuck my head in to check on him and he came out and was making the typical chattering teeth sound like a cold person. Then I realized it was a dog not Hal. I checked it collar or a tag and the I looked up and saw that half my fence was down and that there was another dog in my yard being chased out by a mountain lion, lol. That's when I woke up and ran over to my weather station to see that Hal was sleeping in a nice cozy 79 degree box. Weird how a picture of a random cat can turn into a mountain lion in your dreams.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Alaskamike

South Florida
.....that panic you feel when you can't remember turning off the stove....

One day I was out on my lanai having my morning coffee and thinking I should go out to the covered yard enclosures and check on the torts ... When movement caught my eye ..

One of my baby leopards was happily trotting across the paving bricks.

Was SURE I put them all away safe & sound the day before. My 70lb Rott mix was sitting there watching too , having spent the night sleeping in the same area.
Coulda gone badly
Senior moment ....

phebe121

Iv had dreams like that about my birds there in small cages for winter to keep them nice and warm in the garage cuz sometimes the cold blows the lughts ot there and the have cardboad around the.cages to keep warm but i have woke in a panic before about them

M

Maggie Cummings

Yesterday The breaker flipped off in Bob's shed. In 2 hours it went from 85 degrees to 63 in 2 hours. It worries me...what if that happens during the night and the breaker is off for hours. He an Queenie could get awfully cold.
At 2 am this morning, I took my feeble flash light and went and checked on the temp in there. Freakin wind blowing hard, 30 some odd degrees and I went out barefooted in my bathroom. Sure can tell I'm a Californian...
I just went out again and It's 29 degrees outside right now and Bob's shed is 63 degrees. This has never happened before. Guess I gotta figure out what's wrong.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yesterday The breaker flipped off in Bob's shed. In 2 hours it went from 85 degrees to 63 in 2 hours. It worries me...what if that happens during the night and the breaker is off for hours. He an Queenie could get awfully cold.
At 2 am this morning, I took my feeble flash light and went and checked on the temp in there. Freakin wind blowing hard, 30 some odd degrees and I went out barefooted in my bathroom. Sure can tell I'm a Californian...
I just went out again and It's 29 degrees outside right now and Bob's shed is 63 degrees. This has never happened before. Guess I gotta figure out what's wrong.

I spent $20 on a wireless weather station made by accurite, got it at Home Depot. The probe is in Hal's house and the digital read out is on my night stand so I can always keep track of his temp without getting out of my warm bed. Hope you get it figured out and it's an easy fix.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hate panic dreams. I have not had one yet about my torts and the temps. However, I also have a remote temp gauge you guys should get. Mine has two units in the shed and I read those temps within the comfort of my home. Might help with those dreams or running out to check the temps in the middle of the night. Just a FYI incase you didn't already have them.
Happy dreams from now on:D

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I hate panic dreams. I have not had one yet about my torts and the temps. However, I also have a remote temp gauge you guys should get. Mine has two units in the shed and I read those temps within the comfort of my home. Might help with those dreams or running out to check the temps in the middle of the night. Just a FYI incase you didn't already have them.
Happy dreams from now on:D

You haven't had a bad tort dream yet? Guess that means I love mine more than you ;)

I've got a wireless one too, sitting on my night stand.....don't even have to get out of bed to read it. I have it just so I can keep track of a power failure or a possible malfunction of the heater and it not shutting off.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I have turtle mutilation nightmares sometimes, and when I'm sedated for medical procedures I talk about my turtles. It can be years or even decades between such dreams. This summer I dreamed I found hatchlings in the outdoor pen, and that was such a happy dream.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have turtle mutilation nightmares sometimes, and when I'm sedated for medical procedures I talk about my turtles. It can be years or even decades between such dreams. This summer I dreamed I found hatchlings in the outdoor pen, and that was such a happy dream.
I also talk turtles when I'm sedated. How funny.
I almost died in Feb,. and when I was in the ER and they were doing what they do to save me. I kept saying "Bob will miss me, you have to save me. Bob will be lonely without me etc.....Guess I didn't talk about my sons, just Bob....what's that tell ya???

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I almost died in Feb,. and when I was in the ER and they were doing what they do to save me. I kept saying "Bob will miss me, you have to save me. Bob will be lonely without me etc.....Guess I didn't talk about my sons, just Bob....what's that tell ya???

That tells me your a great mother and raised your sons right, that they are self sufficient and don't rely on mom like Bob does. Well done!

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

M

Maggie Cummings

That tells me your a great mother and raised your sons right, that they are self sufficient and don't rely on mom like Bob does. Well done!

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Wow, thanks for that...My sons are really nice men, hold down good jobs, and both are very handsome...I lucked out with my sons. Just really nice people...and one gave me 3 super grandkids who are now adults too.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I don't remember my dreams ever...but when I do they are intense... Like werewolves chasing me LOL!! So now that I said this I'm going to have a horrible nightmare tonight!! It's from all the horror movies my brother use to make me watch as a kid. But I always panic about my torts when I'm not home!! What are they doing? Are they ok? Did anyone flip over? They are always ok when I come home. I just always worry about them. I don't have kids, just 6 beautiful tortoises :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I cant too greatly recall my tort nightmare but I did have a pretty bad one once, instead of just having Franklin I had multiple Russians... All living in Nanks small house, well I don't remember a great deal of what exactly happened but something BAD happened to Nank and he was not ok, and I didn't care about the others they weren't my munchkin!
I get nightmares sometimes that I cant remember but wake up disoriented and sometimes in a panic and nauseous, the place I go to when that happens is right by Nank's house even if he's pulled in to his log sleeping knowing he's there and seeing his little bum calms me.
Funny how we regard the torts so high they end up in our nightmares!
I never have to worry about heat, Nank lives in our basement and the temps do hit below 60 so he does get night heat in the winter but if power is lost in the middle of the night he'll be fine, and we have a wood stove I can move him by in an extended outage, only worry during that is UVBs.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I can relate to this, I wasn't in an experience or situation like that, but earlier this year I truly wanted to die, I just didn't care anymore, but I can honestly say the only reason I didn't do anything and am still here is because "Nank would miss me too much" Likewise with my solution around the same time to just get in my car and go until I couldn't anymore, but then he couldn't come (MA is already cold let alone heading North in just a car!) and I'd miss him, he'd miss me and it just wouldn't go well at all. Franklin is my shell-baby since i'm only 21, he is my "son" right now, s it didn't surprise me in my situation he was all that seemed to matter. Got him for depression and he saved my life :<3:

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Dreams are funny, what you remember and what you dont. Mo untain lion made me laugh !

Im gonna get a wireless weatherstation. My husband will think that is so cool. He has all that fancy lighting stuff for his 180 gallon
salt water reef tank, which I think is just too funny, I prefer to keep
things a bit more simple !

Alaska mike, so cool you have a Rottweiler. They are great dogs.
We had a 120 lb female, Gretchen. That dog listened better than my human children. LOL ! Very sensitive, brought me a baby bird that fell out of its nest & I had a 4 inch baby bunny accidently walk across the patio with no reaction from her. They get a bad rap though, people clutch their lap dogs closely when you go to the vets office,
like their maneaters or something.