Bad behavior

Jenblalock003

Hello All,

So I have two 5 and half month old sulcatas. One thing I'm good at is keeping them on their routine, same bed times, bath times etc. Every morning I wake up, bathe and feed them, and go to work. My boyfriend gets home at 2:30 so is able to spray them etc. For the last 3 days, one of the babies has been sooo bad. He is dumping over the water bowl, spreading food all over the tank, moving his hide sometimes, and today I come home and the food bowl is upside down in the water bowl.

Is he bored? I try to take him out when I can but it's too cold right now not to mention all the rain lately. Temps and humidity are perfect and substrate is coconut coir. (Nothing has changed at all, everything is the same as it has been for months)

Any advice?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
You are so funny! :p
I think he is just being a tortoise. They are moving rocks! Nothing more graceful than that.
You seem to be very organized.
They are your polar opposite.
In the wild they are not eating or drinking out of a bowl.
Have fun :)

M

Maggie Cummings

My Bob is about 150 lbs now, and when it's cold and raining here (like today) he gets mad and spreads the hay all over his shed...AND he pushes his water bowl out from the corner and poops in it. Just wait until your little ones get big.
Remember, in the wild they walk for miles eating a bite here and there. Then they walk for miles to find a mate. So in captivity they really don't get as much exercise as they should...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maggie, it must be a ball living with Bob. Nice seeing you post a little more again.
To the OP, are they in a big enough enclosure for the two of them? Also, what used to help my little leopard when he was smaller, was to change the enclosure around, kinda gets them searching things out again and keeps them busy for a little while. But yes, I agree with the above. My leopard still does these types if things once in a while.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob does indeed keep me on my toes. He has so much personality and is not afraid of anybody...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Advice? Get used to it.

Time for a larger enclosure and much bigger, heavier furniture.

Just last night I started putting a large rock on one of my humid hides because the babies keep pushing their hide around the enclosure and under the heat lamps.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Hahaha! A Sulcata is a bulldozer! That's what they do and they are good at it. My advice, learn to love it. lol

Jenblalock003

Advice? Get used to it.

Time for a larger enclosure and much bigger, heavier furniture.

Just last night I started putting a large rock on one of my humid hides because the babies keep pushing their hide around the enclosure and under the heat lamps.

Ok ok dumb question :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not a dumb question at all. I just don't know how anyone can really be prepared for the awesome-ness of an ever growing sulcata until you've "been there". :)

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
My tortoises do this but theyre pretty chill. They just walk and tip stuff over and cause all sorts of shenanigans. I got used to it and just let them enoy the outdoors much all day theyre getting big. My biggest ist 9lb at almost 3 years of age