Back legs not working, pink urine, doesn't move

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Thanks for the pics, I agree, he doesnt look like hes suffering from MBD, at least not badly, he does look a bit fat though. Any reason you lean towards Kidney issues rather than general obesity @ZenHerper ?
Well, the same things that lead to obesity can damage the kidneys. Additionally, if he was kept dry and without optimal heating...kidneys. The legs are puffy like poor lymph movement and/or gout...kidneys. His disinterest in drinking...sluggish/backed up kidneys.

Diabetic humans often have co-morbid kidney disease since the kidneys are intimately involved in blood sugar management. For tortoises that have not evolved eating fruits, their kidneys are not able to manage those high amounts of sugar and they "wear out" quickly.

Since the kidneys are also involved with mineral metabolism, MBD develops secondary to renal stress.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
awesome, thanks. So it seems like we should just let him rest and keep him hydrated until we can get him in for testing. Hopefully it isn'y something that requires lots on money to get him well, but thats a problem for when we get there! We'll focus on getting him comfortable and as happy as we can make him until then! Thanks again so much
In the U.S., there is a company that brokers credit for veterinary bills (among other services):

Ask the vet/technician if they take Care Credit payments before agreeing to a work-up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If this were my tort, I would only start with a blood test which can show if organs are working right. Exotic vets are not cheap and I would not rush into a bunch of test right off the bat. If the blood shows all is well with kidneys etc then bring him home and continue with the better care and diet.
Also as long as you are soaking him, start the water therapy. Just soak him in a bigger deeper container.
Jumping into a bunch of test may just cost you a bunch of money for what a blood test should be able to answer.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Vet visit? Do NOT take to a regular Vet, Critical to only take to an exotic animal vet that knows tortoises. CRITICAL! Regular vets are more likely to kill your tortoise and only run up a huge bill for NOTHING.

TONYTORT

Wilmington
Any update? How is Tony doing?
The vet said that all Tony needed was time! He’s been doing a lot better, and is even using his back legs a little bit more. After the vet on Thursday he went to hide in his log and comes out to eat and then goes back in, but he is shedding so he might be growing.
But yeah! All good news! They are testing his poop for parasites but other than that they didn’t feel like anything else was super necessary! Wohoo!

nootnootbu

USA
The vet said that all Tony needed was time! He’s been doing a lot better, and is even using his back legs a little bit more. After the vet on Thursday he went to hide in his log and comes out to eat and then goes back in, but he is shedding so he might be growing.
But yeah! All good news! They are testing his poop for parasites but other than that they didn’t feel like anything else was super necessary! Wohoo!
That's good news! I'm glad to hear it!

nootnootbu

USA
Quite a bit! It’s only his neck but it was a large majority of his neck, it’s done now!
This could be because he'd been dehydrated for a long time and your improved care got him hydrated so he could shed some old dead skin.

If the shedding doesn't continue, and the skin beneath looks healthy, I wouldn't be too worried about a little shed.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

I am DYING to know how much this vet charged you for saying “give him time”.
That should have been a “free-get to meet your pet” appointment!
Meet n greet = free.
?

TONYTORT

Wilmington
How is your tortoise doing a month or so since your last post? Hopefully it is showing marked improvement!
Hi sorry I never responded, I forgot my password haha. Over 6 months later and Tony is finally properly using his legs, has a LOT more energy (climbing and digging a lot more) and is eating things other than Romaine. So I’d say it is a huge success story! Thank you so much for all of you help! He is healthier and faster than ever.

TONYTORT

Wilmington
I am DYING to know how much this vet charged you for saying “give him time”.
That should have been a “free-get to meet your pet” appointment!
Meet n greet = free.
?
An embarrassing 80$! He pooped when the doctor picked him up and flipped him over, and they took that for “sampling” but never called us with the results so overall, not a great experience ??

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi sorry I never responded, I forgot my password haha. Over 6 months later and Tony is finally properly using his legs, has a LOT more energy (climbing and digging a lot more) and is eating things other than Romaine. So I’d say it is a huge success story! Thank you so much for all of you help! He is healthier and faster than ever.
Well, better late than never, especially with good news. I wish you continued good luck with your tortoise.