Baby tortoise soaking time

GingerRene

Location (City and/or State)
Houston Texas
So I have my babies out for some sun in a baby pool. There is enough water on one end for a soak, some veggies to snack on, and a shady spot to get under. The water is warm, the sun is hot and we are just hanging out. The pool only has water on one side, the other side is dry. They keep walking into the water and back out, but they aren't"soaking" do babies know how much water they need or do I need to force a longer soak?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The youngsters really don’t know what’s good for them while in captivity. Maybe in a deep underground burrow in Sudan they do, but sitting in a plastic tub in Texas they don’t. Sooo, you need to provide good soaking, exercise, cover, lighting, etc.

GingerRene

Houston Texas
The youngsters really don’t know what’s good for them while in captivity. Maybe in a deep underground burrow in Sudan they do, but sitting in a plastic tub in Texas they don’t. Sooo, you need to provide good soaking, exercise, cover, lighting, etc.
Got it. Thank you. When I soak them should the water cover their whole shell?

GingerRene

Houston Texas
I'm afraid to just let them walk on the ground. There are ants and birds around. I'm sitting right next to them now, but should they have some ground time?