Baby Tortoise not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crohnsaholic

5 Year Member
Hey everyone it's me Brandon(again) XD

I know i've been posting alot, but this will be my last question for you guys I swear. As you know I just got a baby redfooted tortoise 2 days ago(2.5 inches long :D)

He hasn't really eaten much, he ate a little the day I got him but that's been it. I know that baby tortoises may not eat the first couple days so that they can adapt to their new habitat, is this true? I've just been putting out veggies (romaine lettuce, squash) and a little apples. My setup contains Jungle mix as substrate, he has a good hide(which he spends alot of time in :D) and a pool of water he can get in and out of easily (he's been drinking fine) also would you guys recommend using a basking light or ceramic heat emmiter for heat? (I know they don't like bright light so I was curious, currently I am using a heat lamp).

Thanks for your answers!

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
In my experience sometimes it takes a few days for them to get familiar with their new environment. Your tortoise may just be a little stressed out. Its good to hear that its drinking. All my tortoises come across the ocean, sometimes up to 24 hours travel (harsh) so Ive been through the traveling/new enclosure - not eating trip before. As far as a basking lamp I have only been keeping redfoots for about 3-4 months now so I'll let someone else answer that. Good Luck

Crohnsaholic

5 Year Member
onarock said:
In my experience sometimes it takes a few days for them to get familiar with their new environment. Your tortoise may just be a little stressed out. Its good to hear that its drinking. All my tortoises come across the ocean, sometimes up to 24 hours travel (harsh) so Ive been through the traveling/new enclosure - not eating trip before. As far as a basking lamp I have only been keeping redfoots for about 3-4 months now so I'll let someone else answer that. Good Luck

It's good to hear that i'm not alone, thanks!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
There are many ways to heat/light an enclosure. If it gets the job done safely, its a good method.

heat lamps are great, but at night a CHE or Black Light Bulb (these arent Black Lights, just normal lightbulbs painted black), or a heating pad would all be better.

I've never had a baby, but I've heard of ones that refused to bask under bright lights, and others that do.

The foods you listed are fine on occasion, but make sure leafy, non-lettuce, greens are the staple. Something else that red-foots love is mushrooms, which are seldom mentioned, but are very good for them and a part of their natural diet.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Crohnsaholic said:
Hey everyone it's me Brandon(again) XD

I know i've been posting alot, but this will be my last question for you guys I swear.

Please do not stop asking questions! That is what we are here for, and we want to help your tortoise have the best life possible. :)

LindaF

5 Year Member
My baby won't touch his veggies or fruit if the bottle of calcium was even near his food. Perhaps that is the problem with yours. Thank goodness I can but clacium in with his weekly cat food.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Crohnsaholic said:
(snip)
He hasn't really eaten much, he ate a little the day I got him but that's been it. I know that baby tortoises may not eat the first couple days so that they can adapt to their new habitat, is this true? I've just been putting out veggies (romaine lettuce, squash) and a little apples. My setup contains Jungle mix as substrate, he has a good hide(which he spends alot of time in :D) and a pool of water he can get in and out of easily (he's been drinking fine) also would you guys recommend using a basking light or ceramic heat emmiter for heat? (I know they don't like bright light so I was curious, currently I am using a heat lamp).
(snip)

1. Babies are shy, new torts are shy. It may just take a couple more days.

2. I would rank the diet as listed about a B-/C+. There are better options out there. There is a list in the Red-foot section of the Tortoise Library in my signature.

3. It would be nice to know the real temps and humidities. 80-90ish is a good range for both.

4. Bright light really is not a big deal as long as they have lots of shade and hides.

Crohnsaholic

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Crohnsaholic said:
(snip)
(snip)

1. Babies are shy, new torts are shy. It may just take a couple more days.

2. I would rank the diet as listed about a B-/C+. There are better options out there. There is a list in the Red-foot section of the Tortoise Library in my signature.

3. It would be nice to know the real temps and humidities. 80-90ish is a good range for both.

4. Bright light really is not a big deal as long as they have lots of shade and hides.

I have a diet posting somewhere in these forums giving the whole definition of my diet schedule plan, the above mentioned diet isn't the whole diet, just what I tried those 2 days :) And yeah I think he's just shy is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.