Baby tortoise - biting each other

Becsluvssw

I have got two baby tortoises horsefeld 16 weeks old, we have had them 2.5 weeks.

I have followed the advice bought from a breader in Hull together they are housed in a tortoise table being fed dandilions and other weeds.

One developed a bad eye and today I caught the other biting his leg ! So I suspect the eye has been damaged from attack from the other .

I have temperarly separated them but am concerned about a long term solution ??

Any suggestions

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes. We've said it time and time again:

Russian tortoises don't do well in pairs. They are solitary animals and Russians especially want to be alone in their little world. Set up another habitat and separate them, or sell one of them. There's no other way. They will never get along together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I know you are brand new here, but several of us harp on this subject all day long it seems sometimes. Sorry for the frustration.

You need to separate them immediately, and I hope your little one's eye heals up.

I would also inform your breeder of what has happened and let them know what you have learned here. Your comments may not be met with open arms, but it needs to be said. If this breeder hears this enough times from enough people, it might finally start to sink in. I hope that you will be one of those people.

Becsluvssw

Ok
Thanks for your help I have separated them see picture below I know the new cage is not big enough for long but I will give one away !

The attacked one looks much better his eye is open and looking better i will keep bathing it, he had been eating for about 1 hour now so he seems ok !!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
So glad you have separated them. As youngsters they can get along better than they will when the hormones start raging. But if you are already seeing these early aggression signs then you have done the right thing to separate them.