Sandypeaches56

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My baby red foot tortoise is having problems with her back leg. I’m scared a lizard might have attacked her while in her enclosure outside. Her back right leg is completely missing claws and the skin is peeling off. I’ve been washing the area with baby soap and applying Betadine solution and polysporin antibiotic ointment daily. She is still active, eating and drinking like normal. What else should I be doing?
5B4A0F3E-30EA-43B1-8D2D-BDEBF9EE1454.jpeg

Attachments

• 015E607B-34E1-4DAC-945A-F6C3906EB97C.jpeg
    015E607B-34E1-4DAC-945A-F6C3906EB97C.jpeg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0A3C63AB-D3B4-41EF-899F-B7B095407BA4.jpeg
    0A3C63AB-D3B4-41EF-899F-B7B095407BA4.jpeg
    919.4 KB · Views: 9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stop the Betadine. Continue to keep it clean and using just water and the antibiotic cream on it. House her inside until healed. I can't tell if it's a open wound or if the white/clear stuff is her foot or stuff you put on it?
I normally don't like suggesting a vet visit, but if there is an open wound, she may need antibiotics.

@Yvonne G

Sandypeaches56

Florida
Stop the Betadine. Continue to keep it clean and using just water and the antibiotic cream on it. House her inside until healed. I can't tell if it's a open wound or if the white/clear stuff is her foot or stuff you put on it?
I normally don't like suggesting a vet visit, but if there is an open wound, she may need antibiotics.

@Yvonne G
The white stuff is flesh😥 I’ll stop the Betadine and get her to the vet asap thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Where are you in Florida?
I highly reccomend BROWARD AVIAN AND EXOTIC in Deerfield Beach if that's within driving distance.
So few vets actually understand tortoises. And even fewer will admit that they're learning on your tortoise. With your money.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Dr Kelleher has a full grown Sulcata tortoise as a pet and Dr. Pardini is from Brazil and has known Redfoot her entire life.
She's also great with tropical and "old world" lizards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My baby red foot tortoise is having problems with her back leg. I’m scared a lizard might have attacked her while in her enclosure outside. Her back right leg is completely missing claws and the skin is peeling off. I’ve been washing the area with baby soap and applying Betadine solution and polysporin antibiotic ointment daily. She is still active, eating and drinking like normal. What else should I be doing?
View attachment 360893
Pics are blurry, so I can't see what is going on. Very doubtful that it was from a lizard. More likely ants, or some other stinging insect, or possibly from overly wet conditions too much of the time. Where and how is the tortoise housed?

Sandypeaches56

Florida
*update*
Vet said her leg is definitely infected and her foot is pretty much gone 😔 she doesn’t think it was a lizard or ants so how it happened is still a mystery.

She’ll be getting some antibiotic injections, a prescribed ointment and special soap. Luckily she will recover and still be able to use the leg.

Thanks to everyone who commented and gave me advice!

Last edited:

Sandypeaches56

Florida
Pics are blurry, so I can't see what is going on. Very doubtful that it was from a lizard. More likely ants, or some other stinging insect, or possibly from overly wet conditions too much of the time. Where and how is the tortoise housed?
She’s outside in my enclosed patio. Her enclosure is a large garden bed with coconut fiber substrate. From what I can tell the conditions aren’t overly wet-I would say they’re actually pretty dry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
*update*
Vet said her leg is definitely infected and her foot is pretty much gone 😔 she doesn’t think it was a lizard or ants so how it happened is still a mystery.

She’ll be getting some antibiotic injections, a prescribed ointment and special soap. Luckily she will recover and still be able to use the leg.

Sorry about the foot, but glad she will be okay.

Sandypeaches56

Florida
Was the leg inspected for a hair like Yvonne suggested?
How about anything found in the foot, like a sliver or something?
She was inspected by the vet and what she told me was that there wasn’t anything lodged in the foot, she didn’t think a lizard would be strong enough to bite the foot off and ants would have bitten her all over not just that one leg. The vet said it was possible that she got her leg stuck somewhere and in an attempt to get unstuck she lost her foot.. I don’t think that was the case because there is absolutely nothing in her enclosure that she could’ve gotten stuck in.

Sandypeaches56

Florida
I'd also really like to have an explanation.
It's puzzling
Me too! I’ll be thoroughly cleaning my patio this weekend to make sure there isn’t some animal hiding in my kids toys or in the furniture before I set her up outside again.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
*update*

I'm happy and sad for you. Would LOVE to know the cause of it though. Not every day something like that happens (thank God!).

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I have to wonder if something else is wrong. Tortoise feet don’t just randomly get infected like this, and I have a hard time believing it is due to trauma.

Any chance you could get close, in focus photos of the tortoise from all angles?