Baby Tort question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveh219

5 Year Member
Alright guys, you've all helped me greatly in the past. I have a young baby sulcata, she is probably only about 5 inches in shell length. I have her in a 4x2 tortoise table I made. I am using cypress mulch as the substrate, zoo med mercury vapor bulb with basking light for daytime, have a rock for her to bask on as well. Have a red night lamp for nighttime to make sure temps stay where they should. I spray the substrate in the morning and at night. Should I spray more often? It usually looks dry after just a few minutes. Her left eye is still not fully open like her right eye.... I've been using the Terramycin eye treatment and it hasn't helped much. Her left eye is usually about a 1/4 to 1/2 open if I had to guess. Any advice would be great appreciated.

Oh and her appetite is still really good. She eats everyday for me. And I'm not sure if it is normal or not but everyonce in a while she makes a noise here and there. I do not know exactly how to describe it though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your set up sounds good, but what are your temps? Warm side, cool side basking spot and night?

Most of the time when they get sick, both eyes are equally affected. If its just the one eye, it seems likely that is has been injured. The ointment should help it heal, but if the damage is too much or if there is a foreign body lodged in there somewhere, you might need a vet.

What about diet and sunshine? Got that stuff covered too?

Daveh219

5 Year Member
The temps on the warm side is about 90 and under the basking bulb it is right around 100-105. Cool side and night time temps stay about 70 but with the nightlight she normally goes under it which it warms things up to about 80. And I am feeding her spring mix. I take her outside when I can, when its sunny and warm out now. I'm in Indiana so its not practical all year to do so. Should I keep trying to use the ointment or maybe consider a vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.