Baby sulcatas

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
I have 2 baby sulcatas that haven't really been interested in eating since I got them 4 days ago. They are healthy could it just be the transition? Any advice on how to stimulate their appetite would be appreciated.

Thanks

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Sulcatas are very moody little buggers, and it could well be the transition. Keep their temps up (80 F with a basking spot closer to 100 F), soak daily for at least 15-20 minutes in warm (not hot) water and give them a variety of fresh greens. Hibiscus (leaves or flowers) and aloe are two of my Odin's favorites and he will rarely turn his nose up at them no matter how grumpy he is. You can also try a bit of shredded carrot. It shouldn't be a daily offering (more like monthly) but they love it.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Also age of the torts and enclosure information would be helpful.

Oh, and sulcatas aren't friendly, you should be prepared to separate them sooner than later.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Have you read up on here about humidity and heat for your babies? They may STILL be stressed if they aren't getting the proper temps and humidity helps their shell grow smoothly. Look around on this forum and you'll have endless reading material to keep them healthy.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
They are 4/m old. They each have there own tortoise wooden box. Temps are perfect. I guess the question is stuff to motivate them to eat. But I'm sure it's just like you said they are adjusting. I will try carrots

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
They are 4/m old. They each have there own tortoise wooden box. Temps are perfect. I guess the question is stuff to motivate them to eat. But I'm sure it's just like you said they are adjusting. I will try carrots
Carrots are always a big hit with mine. I grate up about a tablespoon each time I do it and he devours it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please read the sulcata care sheet that's pinned at the top of our Sulcata section. It may give you some clues as to why your tortoises aren't eating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What temperatures do you consider "perfect". Different people have different ideas about this. We need to know your four temps. Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low.

What are you using for heating and lighting? Coil type UV bulb? Red bulbs?

How often are you soaking?

How were they started at the breeders? Old dry routine or humid and hydrated?

They don't take four days to start eating normally and enticing with not-so-great foods is not a good solution. We need to figure out what the problem is and correct it. In most cases it is too cool or the wrong bulbs are being used. I hope we can help you.