baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
okay my baby sulcata has really dry looking skin but i soak him for a half hour once a day n lateley ive been doing it more often but he still looks so dry. is this normal??? i have cypress mulch in his enclosure, is it too dry for him??? do i need soil??? if so what kind would be best???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking spot should be 95-100, all around temps 80 all that is with a humidity of 80%. Read the threads at the bottom of my post by my signature. All good for raising a healthy, happy, smooth sulcata:D
Also, WELCOME, oops, your not a noobie, but just incase I never said it LOL

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
thank you ive read it and i think i understand now. cypress mulch is good but unless it remains moist it isnt doing my baby any good is it??? should i wet it more??? also i read that they need calcium and i have been giving him the rep-cal in his food, now some people say every day others once a week, im a little confused on that account i do it about every other day and he seems fine. his shell was soft but since ive been giving him the calcuim hes better and being a baby his shell will be a little soft...or so i was told. i just wanted to make sure my little guy was okay

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not give calcium more then 3 times a week. I however gave it once a week to my leopard. However I also had a cuttlebone in with him. If you haven't yet, get one of those. He will help himself to it if he feels he needs more calcium then the two or three times a week you are giving it. Yes dampen the substrate more, you may have to do it several times a day. Make sure its damp, not swimming in water. You can also spray the sides of the enclosure to also help.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They are reptiles so they do get flaky skin that sheds here and there!
Just keep up the humidity and soaks if all else fails you can try a cream called vita-shell, designed for flaky dry growing shells and skin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.