Baby Sulcata

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Are you in junior high school! I NEVER look up users histories...but your train of thought intrigued me. So I'm not going to carry on this debate...however I am going to congratulate you on some well thought out theories. But, I will say, if you choose to continue with a water bowl...go for it! In optimal conditions, sulcata would have water available all the time...but would not use it regularly. My methods have proved out some fantastic looking animals. I will continue going this route. I wish you luck with yours!

I am. I do really respect your way of raising sulcatas, and I have no doubt that yours would do fine without a water bowl, but I would recommend that you recommend the use of one in the Care Sheet you’re making, and to other new users. A lot of times the people who read it won’t follow it to a “T”, and having a water bowl would ensure that their babies stay hydrated if their conditions aren’t as great as yours :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am. I do really respect your way of raising sulcatas, and I have no doubt that yours would do fine without a water bowl, but I would recommend that you recommend the use of one in the Care Sheet you’re making, and to other new users. A lot of times the people who read it won’t follow it to a “T”, and having a water bowl would ensure that their babies stay hydrated if their conditions aren’t as great as yours :)
This is a good point of view. Some people read and see what they want to, and reading not to use a water bowl might be interpreted to mean they don't need water. I had to quit including "lettuce" in my list of foods because some people saw that and ONLY fed lettuce, even though I made it quite plain that lettuce was only a part of a varied diet.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This is a good point of view. Some people read and see what they want to, and reading not to use a water bowl might be interpreted to mean they don't need water. I had to quit including "lettuce" in my list of foods because some people saw that and ONLY fed lettuce, even though I made it quite plain that lettuce was only a part of a varied diet.

• Another good question on this issue would be, who are the “Care Sheets” aimed at? The beginner, intermediate or “expert” owner? First time Sully hatchling owner or experienced long-time breeder/owners like @Tom and others here on the Forum? If “beginners” see “no water bowl” needed and they aren't doing the recommended daily soaks, we will soon see an epidemic of new owners requesting urgent help because their tortoises aren’t responding. Experts have learned what to do over time and by trial and error, new owners on the other hand, need a good solid step-by-step care sheet with everything spelled out.

Anyhow, just my thoughts and it’s been a good discussion!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Kayla0203 - Have we answered your question? We kind of got off track with the water bowl issue. Are you satisfied with the responses to your question? If you want, I can move the water bowl posts to a thread of its own. Let me know.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Don't get me wrong! My way of doing things is simple...takes a lot of guesswork and MONEY out of the equation...and improves the safety of the animals overall. I will be including a water bowl in the care sheet...because when you write a care shee...it should be for the novice...not the tried and true! I will be implemented much of what I do...but from a more simplistic foundation.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Babies tend to tip over backwards into the water when they're climbing out. They might drown. I have overcome this problem by putting small pebbles in the bottom of the waterer. Also, I use clay plant saucers because they have sloping sides. The slope helps babies climb out easier without tipping backwards.

View attachment 252230
Look at all those babies! Beautiful!