Baby sulcata

Azam666

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
so i bought a baby sulcata and until now i could hear my mom screaming. So she said i could not bring it inside the house so i set an enclosure at my garden. My question is, is it safe to put my baby tortoise outside? The temperature in my country is in between 28 celcius early in the morning and evening would be 32 celcius. No winter or summer

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Do you mind sharing pictures of your enclosure? How big is it? I would advice keeping it inside your house while it is still a baby.

P

pguinpro

so i bought a baby sulcata and until now i could hear my mom screaming. So she said i could not bring it inside the house so i set an enclosure at my garden. My question is, is it safe to put my baby tortoise outside? The temperature in my country is in between 28 celcius early in the morning and evening would be 32 celcius. No winter or summer
What country?

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
Because i dont have space to put it inside my house.

For the time being, your baby tortoise does not require that much space. For you, you can probably manage something close to 2ft by 3ft right? As close to that as possible. I'd advice you to keep your tortoise inside, no matter where it is, any space you have you can put it, keep it there. It would be better to have your baby tortoise inside where the temperature won't drop to low. Somewhere where the temperature is around room temperature at minimum. You could get a big plastic tub to put him in for the time being.

IMG_5490.JPG IMG_5500.JPG

Azam666

Malaysia
For the time being, your baby tortoise does not require that much space. For you, you can probably manage something close to 2ft by 3ft right? As close to that as possible. I'd advice you to keep your tortoise inside, no matter where it is, any space you have you can put it, keep it there. It would be better to have your baby tortoise inside where the temperature won't drop to low. Somewhere where the temperature is around room temperature at minimum. You could get a big plastic tub to put him in for the time being.

View attachment 246411 View attachment 246412
Alright thanks. Do i really have to buy the uvb light? Because everyday i would put it outside for sun bathing and stuff and at night in my house it is quite hot because we dont have airconditioner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What substrate should i use? I have beach sand but the rough kind not the fine asf sand
Sand can be deadly for them. It causes impactions. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Also called fir bark.

This and much more is explained in the threads I linked above. Please read them.

Azam666

Malaysia
Sand can be deadly for them. It causes impactions. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Also called fir bark.

This and much more is explained in the threads I linked above. Please read them.
Thanks but this is the place for temporary because tommorow i’ll buy a bigger place

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
The climate in your country is ideal for sulcatas. When he gets bigger, he should thrive outdoors. You'll need to provide a shady place so he can get out of the sun.
When he is little and outside, you have to be careful that there aren't any predators that could hurt your baby, like large birds that could carry him off.

Azam666

Malaysia
The climate in your country is ideal for sulcatas. When he gets bigger, he should thrive outdoors. You'll need to provide a shady place so he can get out of the sun.
When he is little and outside, you have to be careful that there aren't any predators that could hurt your baby, like large birds that could carry him off.
I dont think we hv owl in my neighbourhood it is quite rare. Plus when i put it in the sunlight it ran to shade. Should i force him to get his sunlight?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I dont think we hv owl in my neighbourhood it is quite rare. Plus when i put it in the sunlight it ran to shade. Should i force him to get his sunlight?
Don't force him into the sun. It could be too hot for him. Babies can get overheated very quickly.

Azam666

Malaysia
Don't force him into the sun. It could be too hot for him. Babies can get overheated very quickly.
Max time for natural sunlight is how many hours and i noticed that my tort active during 8-1 then sleep till night. Is that normal?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Max time for natural sunlight is how many hours and i noticed that my tort active during 8-1 then sleep till night. Is that normal?
Babies should only be out for about an hour a day. When they get bigger, they can stay in the sun longer. It is normal for them to sleep a lot. My adult sulcata roams around in the morning and evening, and sleeps during the middle of the day and the night.