Baby Sulcata Tortoise, right?

MollyB

Location (City and/or State)
West Jordan, Utah
We don't do that here.

Almost all of the care info for this species out in the world is all wrong, so even if you had plenty of time and did lots of research, you'd still be in the same boat. In fact, that is usually even more frustrating for people because they worked so hard and spent so much money to be doing it right, only to find out the info they found was the typical old wrong info.

We want you to have an enjoyable and successful tortoise keeping experience and we want your tortoise to be healthy.
That's EXACTLY what happened to me. All the wrong info! The person was leaving the state immediately and they couldn't take their baby with them. He was going to let it go into the wild! In Utah! In January! So, I picked Donny up at 3:30 am and took him home. Not knowing what the hell I was doing. But, I instantly fell in love. Bought the "best" tortoise TABLE. Wrong. Told to feed him lettuce every 3-4 days. Wrong. NOTHING about soaking or the amount of humidity this little guy needs. It was awful. Bawled my eyes out. Because of this Forum, I'm on the right path now. I'm blessed to be able to put the money towards a new enclosure, bulbs, meters, etc. I can't thank you folks enough. Please bear with me!

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
Molly, the whole carapace should be smooth and all at the same level. When it dips down, like on your tortoise in-between the scutes, that is the start of forming pyramids. In time, if not corrected, each scute will form a pyramid.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Stopping pyramiding in progress is much harder that preventing pyramiding in the first place. Don't be discouraged. Almost no one, myself included, grows every tortoise 100% perfectly smooth. That is the goal, but it is rarely achieved. A tortoise with minor pyramiding can still be a very healthy and long-lived tortoise. When we see extreme cases, that means that the tortoise was housed and cared for incorrectly for a long time.

Here are some tips to stop it:
1. House the tortoise in a large closed chamber with high humidity and warm temperatures. 80-100% humidity 24/7, and no lower than 80 degrees at night. 90-ish during the day is good, and near 100 directly under the basking lamp.\
2. Use a plastic humid hide with a small door for the tortoise. Make the tortoise sleep in it every night. Don't use any sort of moss. Just wet the substrate under the hide. Sulcatas don't get shell rot.
3. Soak the baby every day for 40-60 minutes until it passes 100 grams. Keep the water warm the whole time, and don't worry about it if the baby tries to climb out. That is good exercise and will keep the tortoise healthy. After 100 grams you can start skipping a day now and then, but it does no harm if you want to keep soaking every day for ever. It is not "necessary" to soak larger sulcatas every day, but it is still beneficial and not harmful in any way.
4. Spray the carapace several times a day with de-mineralized water like distilled, RO, or collected rainwater. This dampness will help the new growth come in smoother.
5. Pyramiding is NOT caused by food. Almost everything you see on the internet about it is going to be wrong. Keep free feeding a wide variety of the correct high fiber, high calcium foods. Don't be afraid of a little plant protein either. Protein in the diet does NOT cause pyramiding.
6. A little bit of outdoor time in a safe enclosure is great for babies. Just not too much. All day every day is bad for babies. My general rule is one hour of sunshine access per inch of tortoise per day. So a three inch baby can get three hours of sunning time, but soak the tortoise after this dry outside time. I usually don't sun more than 2 or three times a week for little babies. I do more and more as they grow and eventually, they live outside full time once they reach about 10-12 inches.

Questions are welcome. :)
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm so ON IT!!!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
That's EXACTLY what happened to me. All the wrong info! The person was leaving the state immediately and they couldn't take their baby with them. He was going to let it go into the wild! In Utah! In January! So, I picked Donny up at 3:30 am and took him home. Not knowing what the hell I was doing. But, I instantly fell in love. Bought the "best" tortoise TABLE. Wrong. Told to feed him lettuce every 3-4 days. Wrong. NOTHING about soaking or the amount of humidity this little guy needs. It was awful. Bawled my eyes out. Because of this Forum, I'm on the right path now. I'm blessed to be able to put the money towards a new enclosure, bulbs, meters, etc. I can't thank you folks enough. Please bear with me!
you're way ahead of the pack. You're doing great. yes people do terrible things to torts without even understanding a baby sulcata outside in winter in utah will die within hours.

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
I'm sure you've all heard this before, but...those people who put out all these YT videos and BS information...they need to STOP. I'm so torqued right now. How do they look at themselves in the mirror and take people's money, put animals in danger, and live with themselves! Boy, I know I can't swear here, but JEEEZ. Unbelievable. I'm not going to get any other information unless it's from this Forum. Grrr....

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'm sure you've all heard this before, but...those people who put out all these YT videos and BS information...they need to STOP. I'm so torqued right now. How do they look at themselves in the mirror and take people's money, put animals in danger, and live with themselves! Boy, I know I can't swear here, but JEEEZ. Unbelievable. I'm not going to get any other information unless it's from this Forum. Grrr....
Well to be fair, most of them do not think that at all. They think they are passing on good, solid information...

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
Well to be fair, most of them do not think that at all. They think they are passing on good, solid information...
Probably. I do feel for people who are trying to do the right thing, spend a lot of money, and then find out it's all wrong. Like I said, I can afford to right my wrongs, but others can't.
I think I'm going to make my tortoise table into a flower planter out back! 😆

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yes, it's awful. I've been genuinely considering starting up a youtube channel of my own to try to combat it. Most videos I see seem to be stuck in the dark ages of tortoise care. It's like stepping into a time capsule.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A few months ago I decided to watch some YT vids on tortoise care just to see what they had to say. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect by my standard of perfect, but I was literally appalled at how terrible it was. Every single video I tried to watch, some of them from big names even, were full of the same wrong tortoise harming info. After about 15 videos I just gave up and had to go take a walk in the sunshine to fight off the depression. It was so sad. I can imagine some eager young kid, like I used to be, watching some famous You Tuber guy deliver all this logical sounding care info for this desert species while showing images of mixed species pens and talking about the deaths he's had from mismanagement, and the poor kid thinks this is all great info. When that kid tries to implement that wrong info he will experience heartache and tragedy and have no idea what went wrong.

I try to help the ones, like you, that make it here, as best I can.

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
A few months ago I decided to watch some YT vids on tortoise care just to see what they had to say. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect by my standard of perfect, but I was literally appalled at how terrible it was. Every single video I tried to watch, some of them from big names even, were full of the same wrong tortoise harming info. After about 15 videos I just gave up and had to go take a walk in the sunshine to fight off the depression. It was so sad. I can imagine some eager young kid, like I used to be, watching some famous You Tuber guy deliver all this logical sounding care info for this desert species while showing images of mixed species pens and talking about the deaths he's had from mismanagement, and the poor kid thinks this is all great info. When that kid tries to implement that wrong info he will experience heartache and tragedy and have no idea what went wrong.

I try to help the ones, like you, that make it here, as best I can.
I've been unable to get to sleep sometimes just utterly sick of what I thought was right; what they said was the right thing to do. I just cried my eyes out yesterday. Seriously! I want to do right by this little fella. I soaked Donny today in warm water for 45 minutes. He stood up and then settled in like it was the best thing ever! The water stayed at 82-84°. Is that good? I sound like a crazy woman, I'm sure. It's just so frustrating. From now on, I'll soak him daily. And, of course, implement the other things I should've been doing from the start. I'd hug you all if I could. 💝

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
I just chime in to say, that your tortoise table can be turned into a "closed chamber" with something simple like a portable greenhouse top. And you can check with us lights and heating you are going to buy or already have.

It's better to keep the water for soaking a bit warmer - 86-90F.

I don't want to make you more anxious, but you also have to plan ahead for a few years once your baby is settled in: how will you house him in winters when he outgrows the enclosure, plan outdoors space, write instructions and teach a trusted person about proper care when you need to leave for some days or a week. These are not urgent things right now, but it's better to consider them beforehand.

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
I done exactly the same thing, I bought a little one in November though I had done all the right research then after about 2 weeks found this site and realised everything was wrong.
Had to change and adapt every thing I had bought but on the plus size my little one is doing brilliant and that's all that matters.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Kinda worried about getting blasted and judged. Some people think that a person should know it all at the beginning. Had I known that I was all of a sudden taking on a baby tortoise, I would have done my homework/research. But, I didn't have that luxury. I love this guy so much. I will do everything I can to help him live a long and healthy life.
This is not Facebook...we want your tortoise to be healthy and live...that's it...we will help you all that is necessary...We all know you come here not really knowing much...it's OK

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Try being an experienced tort keeper here for a long time...I want to blow up those guys and their deadly info...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I've been unable to get to sleep sometimes just utterly sick of what I thought was right; what they said was the right thing to do. I just cried my eyes out yesterday. Seriously! I want to do right by this little fella. I soaked Donny today in warm water for 45 minutes. He stood up and then settled in like it was the best thing ever! The water stayed at 82-84°. Is that good? I sound like a crazy woman, I'm sure. It's just so frustrating. From now on, I'll soak him daily. And, of course, implement the other things I should've been doing from the start. I'd hug you all if I could. 💝
I generally soak babies like him for about 15 to 20 minutes daily...that's enuf unless he's sick and then it probably should be longer

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I generally soak babies like him for about 15 to 20 minutes daily...that's enuf unless he's sick and then it probably should be longer
The Sulcata that I have is also pyramided, her's looks like this...SUNP0048.JPG
she's bigger now...here's an idea to help you...I keep another species here...this is a greenhouse over a wooden tort table...DSCN1012.JPG
see how humid that is? That's what you are shooting forDSCN1011.JPG
here's a better view for you...DSCN1708.JPG

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, you are in the right place.
I would suggest getting a infrared temp gun. You will use it often. You can get instant temps anywhere in your enclosure. Just don't point at eyes or airplanes.😁Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
It's great that you have found this forum so soon, and are prepared to make all the changes needed to keep Donny well and happy. People here really enjoy being able to help, and you must continue to ask advice as much as you need - no-one is going to criticize or think a question is silly. And keep on reading tne forum as time goes on - you may learn more new things over time, and also may be able to help new-comers with their own queries ! And anyway people will want to know how Donny is getting on !
Angie