Baby sulcata eyes

The crab man

Location (City and/or State)
MILLEN
I'm concerned about my new baby sulcatas eyes, he keeps one open and one closed, they dont seem to be infected and he otherwise acts healthy (eating great, and being active). My four temps are great and the humidity is perfect according to the care sheets on here. Once he comes put for his eye comes open and looks fine, I'm lost could it be the lighting I'm using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of substrate are you using? Is it damp?

Open top or closed chamber?

What are the temperatures and humidity. "Perfect" doesn't tell us anything.

What types of bulbs? Basking, UV, night heat?

The crab man

MILLEN
I guess I shouldn't have used the word perfect but
Basking spot typically holds at 101
Inside enclosure temp is around 90
Night time temp never gets below 75
The enclosure has a lid on it but has an area just out of the top for the lights and viewing
Substrate is coco coir mixed with organic top soil (no perlite or anything) and the bulbs are in the picture

Attachments

• 20200425_201439.jpg
    20200425_201439.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see three big mistakes that could each be causing the problem.

1. Night temps should never drop below 80 in the coldest part of the enclosure.
  2. Soil should never be used as a substrate under a tortoise in an indoor enclosure.
  3. Those cfl type UV bulbs are ineffective as UV sources, and sometime burn their eyes.
  4. A fourth thing is that the other bulb looks like a spot bulb. Probably not the source of your eye issue, but it will be the source of your pyramiding problem in the near future.
Give this a read through. It explains all of this in more detail:

The crab man

MILLEN

2. Soil should never be used as a substrate under a tortoise in an indoor enclosure.
  3. Those cfl type UV bulbs are ineffective as UV sources, and sometime burn their eyes.
  4. A fourth thing is that the other bulb looks like a spot bulb. Probably not the source of your eye issue, but it will be the source of your pyramiding problem in the near future.
I have gotten so much misinformation about this before I got this little guy I spent over month researching and preparing and it feels like in the few short days since I've had it I've either discovered that my sources were either wrong or just sub par, the lights for instance were recommended by the seller (as well as everything else i have) I'm so glad I've found this forum I've been on here constantly the past few days posting and getting answers its honestly been pretty stressful because I love these animals and i thought i was prepared and i obviously am not

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have gotten so much misinformation about this before I got this little guy I spent over month researching and preparing and it feels like in the few short days since I've had it I've either discovered that my sources were either wrong or just sub par, the lights for instance were recommended by the seller (as well as everything else i have) I'm so glad I've found this forum I've been on here constantly the past few days posting and getting answers its honestly been pretty stressful because I love these animals and i thought i was prepared and i obviously am not
Welcome to the age of the internet. :)

In the old days we all read the same books and they were wrong, but they all said the same thing. Made it pretty easy, but it didn't produce good results. Now you can find 100s of information sources with a few key strokes and the info is all over the board. Who do you listen to? How do you even decide who to listen to?

I look at how new people take to all this contradicting info with a bit of a twisted interest. Some people find out they bought all the wrong stuff, or that they are doing things the wrong way and they are just really frustrated by it. Other people pick the most eloquently worded site with the prettiest pictures and go with that. A large percentage of people keep asking the same questions until they get someone, anyone, to give them the answer they want to hear, but then they are upset when the results don't match their expectations.

Its tough man. I know I'm right based on 2 decades of doing it the old wrong way, and one decade of annual experiments to determine not only the right way, but the BEST way. I post my experiments and results, be they good or bad. That is one thing I find lacking in some of the other info sources. I say what I say and then I can back it up with data, pictures, and comparative results. They say stuff and show no evidence. Where are the pictures of 3, 6, and 12 month old babies showing the results of their methods? They don't show those pics because either they don't have them since they sell off the babies in the first month, or because the babies are dry, stunted, and pyramided because that is what their methods produce. I've done it many many ways, and observed the many ways other keepers do it too. I find that the people who argue about these things with me have only tried it their way, and have never tried it my way. How could they possibly have a leg to stand on. They have less than half the info that I have. I've done it their way, my way, and many ways in between. They've only done it their way. Each side makes a compelling argument. Each side warns of the pitfalls of doing it the "wrong" way. How does someone with no experience decide who to listen to? Man. I don't know. But it is strangely entertaining watching people try to figure it out. :D

I'm here for you. Hammer me with the difficult questions. Ask me to explain why one way is wrong and another way is right. I can back up all my assertions and tell you why their assertions are wrong. I can explain the experiments that prove what I say is right. Lots of pics to demonstrate these points too.

The crab man

MILLEN

Thank you so much for the help I believe it was the lights after I removed the CFL bulb for about a day my torts eyes seem to be doing much better again