Baby Star very lathargic

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
My smaller star which is a couple of months old has been very lathargic the past 4-5 hours. usually when I pick it up when it's asleep in the afternoon, it would open it's eyes after a minute but this time it is taking much longer. This morning it was fine and very active but the past few hours he has been very lathargic and refusing to eat. No running nose and clear eyes, everything else being the same. Is this their normal behaviour once in a while? The weather has been cooler these past few days but still over 25 degrees celcius.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It could be the change in weather, mine go through phases of eating lots to just a little, waking up before the lights switch on to not getting up until mid day! never both of them at the same time always taken in turns.

A colleague of mine has two stars of about 10 and 5 mths and the 5 mth old is always sleeping, when I looked after them in august he really worried me. I use to pick him up and he would still sleep! I just kept putting him in front of the food and he'd wake, eat then go back to his corner and sleep! I was really worried but that is him.

Hopefully someone more experienced will answer, as even after a year still class myself as a newbie.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Your Star sounds fine to me :) especially seeing as it was active and eating in the morning. Young tortoises do sleep quite a lot and don't always appreciate being woken up. In the wild if your asleep and something picks you up it's usually to try to eat you, so coming out of your shell isn't a good idea. :D

Danny

samstar

5 Year Member
It has been fine all the while. Only today his eyes have been close all the time. Only when I soaked it, it opened it's eyes. I soak them 4-5 times a week. it really upsets me to see it this way. No running nose whatsoever but it's eyes are just shut, not opening at all. I will visit the vet tomorrow. Weather/temp is good between 24-35 degrees celcius throughout the year. Only these past few days the weather temp has dropped to maybe 23 degrees celcius lowest due to rainy season. Should eyes shut concern me? The thing is before I used to pick it up and it would opened it's eyes but not now at all.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Was it active and eating this morning? Is it acting the same in the mornings?

Danny

samstar

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Was it active and eating this morning? Is it acting the same in the mornings?

Danny

Hi Danny,
I am happy to report here that this morning, it woke up, eyes open, ate a little, pooped twice and went back to sleep. Still no running nose whatsoever. Later I will soak them in warm water.

samstar

5 Year Member
Laura said:
A weather change outside shouldnt effect them if inside and in a heated enviroment...

The thing is my enclosure is in my patio which off course has a roof but open air. However the basking light is on for a good 10-12 hours a day and the temp is around 32-35c on the hot side. I soaked it today and it pooped within ten minutes and next thing I know, it's eyes are shut again.

samstar

5 Year Member
I emailed Marcus Langford and this is what he had to reply:

"It is helpful to spray them on their head and eyelids with warm water from a plant sprayer which unsticks their eyelids if they dry out too much.
You can do this 2-3 times a day if necessary."

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
samstar said:

"It is helpful to spray them on their head and eyelids with warm water from a plant sprayer which unsticks their eyelids if they dry out too much.

Marcus gives excellent advice, it is from him that I got both my Indian Stars. He is alway on the end of a email or the phone giving sound advice. He helped me with George when she was unwell when i first got her, even offered to take her back and if necessary exchange her, never would she's my baby, sickness and health and all that. Sounds like he thinks you may be drying your tort out thats what i did, so worried about colds made her home too hot, hence dry. Check you temps makesure not too hot.

Spraying can stimulate waking and eating, may help with your sleepy one!

samstar

5 Year Member
It does not get cold at all where I live in Asia, lowes it goes down to is 23-24c and max 36-37c throughout the year. This morning it ate and I added cod livers oil on it's eyes so lets see how it goes..

George said:
samstar said:

Marcus gives excellent advice, it is from him that I got both my Indian Stars. He is alway on the end of a email or the phone giving sound advice. He helped me with George when she was unwell when i first got her, even offered to take her back and if necessary exchange her, never would she's my baby, sickness and health and all that. Sounds like he thinks you may be drying your tort out thats what i did, so worried about colds made her home too hot, hence dry. Check you temps makesure not too hot.

Spraying can stimulate waking and eating, may help with your sleepy one!

I hope it works out well, it really upsets me seeing it this way. Good thing is that it's still eating well.

samstar

5 Year Member
Well the whole of today it's eyes has been shut, only when I soaked it, it opened it's eyes than went back to sleep in the water. I just sprinkled a bit of water on it's eyes an hour ago but it didn't bother opening it. Tomorrow I have made an appointment with the vet first thing, I thought of rushing it down today but the vet is close. This vet has been working with reptiles for the past 30 years so I should be in good hands. I will also take my other Star down for a check up which I have not done at all since I have acquired them 3-4 weeks back. Hope all goes well.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Laura said:
A weather change outside shouldnt effect them if inside and in a heated enviroment...

My vet told me that even inside with heat/light/UVB, they can feel the barometer change. I believe this as my tort gets moody with changing seasons, but would love to see some sort of evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.