Baby redfoot

Callum1941

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle
Hi all, I've had a baby red foot delivers this afternoon. It's been in the enclosure since I got it about 4 hours ago. I haven't seen any sign of life or movement from him. I'm assuming this is probably just due to the baby being afraid due to the transport and new environment. Is it normal for the red foot to not move and close its eyes when scared like this? Any feedback would be appreciated

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello,
I am nowhere near an expert, but are you able to post pictures of the redfoot and your enclosure setup? Did it come with it's eyes closed? where you able to soak it once it arrived? Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to help you soon.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Did you soak it right away? Have you seen it's eyes open? I'm sayin it's scared...badly. Soak him and put him in a quiet place. If he's warm enuf 29 degrees c then we'll have to look at other stuff...keep us posted

Callum1941

Newcastle
Hello,
I am nowhere near an expert, but are you able to post pictures of the redfoot and your enclosure setup? Did it come with it's eyes closed? where you able to soak it once it arrived? Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to help you soon.
IMG_20230223_145741.jpg

Callum1941

Newcastle
Here is the poor fella, like I said he's been here less that 5 hours and this is exactly how he was delivered, hasn't moved a muscle and isn't fased by being touched or anything, no signs of response or movement. I'm going to ring the company I ordered him from in the morning and see what the deal is. The place i got him from is very reputable as well seems strange for him to arrive in this condition. Would be my luck 🙄

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He's not hanging out of his shell, limp. So I'm guessing he's just fine.
DO get rid of that moss ASAP. Redfoot love to eat it. It can't be digested and it becomes a serious health issue.
I understand that moss holds in humidity. But a correctly set up CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURE won't need it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Here is the poor fella, like I said he's been here less that 5 hours and this is exactly how he was delivered, hasn't moved a muscle and isn't fased by being touched or anything, no signs of response or movement. I'm going to ring the company I ordered him from in the morning and see what the deal is. The place i got him from is very reputable as well seems strange for him to arrive in this condition. Would be my luck 🙄
His carapace is really nice and smooth...looks like he was well cared for...so we can assume that he's fine, simply sacred.

Callum1941

Newcastle
Can confirm this morning that the little guy had passed before he even arrived at my house, I woke up this morning and his body has gone all swollen and there is mucus coming from his eyes and bubbles foaming from his mouth. Poor fella. It was %100 dead before it got here 😕

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
I am sorry to hear this. Not a nice experience for either of you. Just to be sure, is there any reaction from the tortoise when you touch one of the limbs?

Callum1941

Newcastle
I am sorry to hear this. Not a nice experience for either of you. Just to be sure, is there any reaction from the tortoise when you touch one of the limbs?
Nope nothing at all 😕 I've called the exotic company this morning and sent photos of the poor tortoise. I think they are going to send another one out this week.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can confirm this morning that the little guy had passed before he even arrived at my house, I woke up this morning and his body has gone all swollen and there is mucus coming from his eyes and bubbles foaming from his mouth. Poor fella. It was %100 dead before it got here 😕
Wow
That's horrible
Sorry about that

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would really want to know what was the cause of the first one's death.