Baby RedFoot not eating

Kcookson

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi I am new to the tortoise forum I have recently purchased a baby red foot tortoise from a breeder, we’ve had him/her just over a week and we’ve discovered he’s a fussy eater. We’ve been offering a selection of differnt foods every meal time and the only thing he has eaten is mushroom, meal worms, carrot and the odd bit of spinach. Obviously we don’t offer this food everyday so some days he will look at his food dish and carry on walking and go without good for the day. Just looking for some advice from some more experienced tortoise owners who may know if he’s just being fussy(possibly due to change in diet) or is something is up.
We have a habistat thermostat controlling the temperature of the heat/basking lamp with thermometers on Either side of his home to monitor temperature and a UVA-UVB strip light covering the area. He will drink plenty but doesn’t seem to eat.
Thank you in advance

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi I am new to the tortoise forum I have recently purchased a baby red foot tortoise from a breeder, we’ve had him/her just over a week and we’ve discovered he’s a fussy eater. We’ve been offering a selection of differnt foods every meal time and the only thing he has eaten is mushroom, meal worms, carrot and the odd bit of spinach. Obviously we don’t offer this food everyday so some days he will look at his food dish and carry on walking even though there’s a variety of things a available. Just looking for some advice from some more experienced tortoise owners who may know if he’s just being fussy(possibly due to change in diet) or is something is up.
We have a habistat thermostat controlling the temperature of the heat/basking lamp with thermometers on Either side of his home to monitor temperature and a UVA-UVB strip light covering the area. He will drink plenty but doesn’t seem to eat.
Thank you I’m advance
Take some of the mushroom, carrot, or whatever he really likes and shred it, or grate it real good. Then take that and mix it with whatever other food your trying to get him to eat. You can start using less of the first food and eventually your tort should eat the other item readily.

Kcookson

England
Take some of the mushroom, carrot, or whatever he really likes and shred it, or grate it real good. Then take that and mix it with whatever other food your trying to get him to eat. You can start using less of the first food and eventually your tort should eat the other item readily.
Thank you, I’ll give this a try!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If you are certain that he is getting the correct set of temps and humidity levels, and his setup is secure and quiet for him to settle down at his leisure, and he is a healthy baby to start with, then it's just a matter of time and patience.

Kcookson

England
If you are certain that he is getting the correct set of temps and humidity levels, and his setup is secure and quiet for him to settle down at his leisure, and he is a healthy baby to start with, then it's just a matter of time and patience.
Thank you, we’ve got him eating much better now! Turns out the bag of mixed green leafs were peppered so new fresh mixtures and he’s happy now