Baby isn't eating?

TortoiseDoc

Hey All,

Yet another question for you! My little guy arrived yesterday morning and has yet to eat. He's had softened Mazuri pellets available to him constantly, in a terra cotta plant bottom. I've placed him directly in the plant bottom, yet he climbs out immediately.

He was soaked 2x yesterday, and has been soaked 3x today- he seem's happiest when being soaked, so I place him next to his food as soon as his soak is over- still nothing.

He spends most of his time under his basking lamp where the temps range from high 90s to low 100s

Any advice? Should I worry?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Double check the temperatures. Tortoises won't eat if they can't get warm enough, and 'warm enough' is anything over 80F and under 100F.

I like to keep baby habitats at least 80F all over the whole enclosure. I don't provide a gradient until they get to be about a year old.

Offer him the same food the original owner was using.

Don't hover over him. Place him by the food then step out of sight.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Not yet, no.
it is perfectly normal for a tortoise not to eat for a while, maybe several days when placed in a new environment. He doesn't know if there are predators about and may even think you are going to eat him .
It may take him a while to adjust, just be patient, as long as your set up and temps are okay, he'll soon get used to his new environment.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would try to find out what his diet was like before with the breeder and if it's good continue with that. double check the temperatures as well

legan52

Chicago
Mine was skittish for the first few days, almost to where I thought he was lethargic. I just kept on with the warm soaks and offering fresh greens from the yard. I would return to find the pile trampled and half eaten, but he never seemed comfortable coming out when I was near. It's been two weeks and he's still shy, but not nearly as much.

TortoiseDoc

Thanks everyone! His breeder had him on Matzuri, and sent some home with me. Once he's eating that I plan on adding in some grass, dandelions, etc!

I'm continuing to monitor temps

I, too, have noticed he's out more when I'm not around. Just now I walked into my bedroom and he was trying to climb up the side of the wall. Once he noticed me, he froze. He's in my bedroom now, which stays quiet most of the day, but is close enough to the main rooms that he should get some noise levels, just enough to acquaint him.

I'm trying to socialize him with the same methods as we do puppies (I breed show dogs) and how we were taught in my animal behavior class....just waaay slowed down haha. I guess I'll see if it works on a tortoise ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the techniques may not work puppies are pets and domesticated tortoises are wild animals. To a tortoise in the beginning anything larger than it is a potential predator just give it time and patience they soon realize you're no threat and you bring lots of good food

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
It took an adult russian I rescued over the summer three months to quit treating me like I was a threat, and honestly I thought he warmed up to me awful quick.