Baby Hermanns on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello everyone,
I do not have a Hermanns tortoise, I actually have a redfoot. However, I was just on craigslist and I found a baby hermanns tortoise that someone is trying to "get rid of" he is in a 30 gallon tank and comes with the tank, stand, lighting, etc for $175.00 I thought I would post him here to see if anyone was interested in him. I would love to take him but I really do not have the space or the money for another animal. Here is the link for him, he is posted on the milwaukee craigslist page but he is oconomowoc

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pet/1744295393.html

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I emailed. I am picking up a gecko on Wednesday in Milwaukee so I could pick the baby up too I guess if she gets back to me.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Meg90 said:
I emailed. I am picking up a gecko on Wednesday in Milwaukee so I could pick the baby up too I guess if she gets back to me.

Wow! Thats Awesome! I hope you get a response and are able to take this poor little guy :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She said she wants him to go with the entire setup, I have asked to have him and if he has correct lighting, his UVB bulb. I replied with a picture of how I set up my babies, and some more info on how I keep them. I told her glass tanks are not ideal for tortoises, especially babies. I do hope she gets back to me today with good news.

I also asked for more pictures. In the ad, he looks almost newly hatched. I want to make sure he has bright eyes and a clear little nose, and a nice hard shell. I don't want to buy a sickly baby.

I was looking for one more tortoise this summer, but I wanted it to be a Greek. But I am going to be in that area this week, and if I decide for some reason not to keep him, I know how to ship.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Well, she did not get back to me today at all---

We are filling out an application for a new apartment tomorrow, and I would finally have my own reptile room, so I would have some space for the little dude. I hope she gets back to me tomorrow. I have a short window of time to pick him up, but after Wednesday will not be doing any more out of city driving for awhile. We've put alot of mileage on the car in recent weeks :(

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
What she sent me this morning, as she continues to beat around the bush about selling him without his setup. I really just don't want it. I have a closet full of glass tanks, and nothing that goes in them. An extra 30 gal to lug home wouldn't be a picnic.

Hello Megan,
I have him under two lights one is UV the other is a heat lamp area.
This set up was from a pet sales person who no longer wanted to show this set up.
I dont know where he got the baby from.
He eats a dry grass food soaked with water and a white powder also greens and apples, once or twice a week
i give a little protien//cat food or monkey chow.
Your welcome to come see him tomorrow or perhaps i could meet you at a park and ride just off of 94
after your zoo trip.

Tina

So she is feeding him commercial tortoise food every day, greens ONCE or twice a week, and CAT FOOD once a week. His poor baby shell---I am betting the picture in the ad is old, especially because she wouldn't take me a new one. I do have her phone number, and I will call her this afternoon and talk to her directly.

Just talked to Tina directly, and she is meeting me at a park and ride after the Zoo trip. I'll be bringing home that little baby tomorrow. Along with a new chahoua gecko, plus I have a female crested on hold from a breeder that I need to make payments on.

I may be heading to a zoo, but I will be coming home to one as well.

Let hope this has a happy ending. :)

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
I'm so excited for you! Are you going to have a vet see him?
I bet all that cat food did a number on his kidneys. :/ He couldn't be a luckier baby to be picked up by you.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She says they have had him for little more than a month, so I am hoping he isn't in too bad of shape, and the picture in the ad was taken last Sunday. Her son bought him, and that entire ridiculous setup at a reptile expo, and then his wife vetoed the tort after he brought it home.

This dude will be going in Novalee's old bin, and under a reg heat lamp with outside time until I have a UVB bulb shipped. I ordered one two months ago from Reptile Depot, and they never sent my order, so I am having my bank process it, hopefully as a theft. I spent nearly 100$ dollars with them, and got nothing for it.

Its been stress city here, with new animals arriving that haven't exactly been planned for, I recently got a gecko that came not as described, and with finals and my work promotion, its been kinda hellish. I haven't been on much for those reasons, and more. :)

However, I just had my last final this morning so I should be back on track soonish.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Well Meg90, I truly hope everything works out for you and the baby Hermann's tortoise. It makes me very happy that you are interested in him. Although I knew I coudn;t take him, it gives me piece of mind that I was able to play a part in helping him find a good home. Good luck tomorrow :)

Meg90 said:
She says they have had him for little more than a month, so I am hoping he isn't in too bad of shape, and the picture in the ad was taken last Sunday. Her son bought him, and that entire ridiculous setup at a reptile expo, and then his wife vetoed the tort after he brought it home.

This dude will be going in Novalee's old bin, and under a reg heat lamp with outside time until I have a UVB bulb shipped. I ordered one two months ago from Reptile Depot, and they never sent my order, so I am having my bank process it, hopefully as a theft. I spent nearly 100$ dollars with them, and got nothing for it.

Its been stress city here, with new animals arriving that haven't exactly been planned for, I recently got a gecko that came not as described, and with finals and my work promotion, its been kinda hellish. I haven't been on much for those reasons, and more. :)

However, I just had my last final this morning so I should be back on track soonish.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ohh the little guy is so lucky to be going home with you! I'm happy for both of you ;)
You must post pics asap! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.