Baby hermann tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyO7321

5 Year Member
[split] Pacing

I just got a baby Hermann's and he has benn borrowed for the last 3 days and is not eating much . What can I do?

MikeyO7321

5 Year Member
I got a baby Hermann's tortoise on 3 days ago and it has borrowed its self and has not come out much or eaten

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mikey07321, and welcome to the Forum!!

When you say "borrowed" you mean he is staying buried, right? Burrowed?

New to you tortoises are quite stressed out and scared when taken from a familiar setting and plunked down in new digs. You have to give him time to settle in. Also, very tiny baby tortoises are prey and will stay hidden most of the day.

With baby tortoises, I will turn on their light in the morning, and place the baby in a bowl (that he can't climb out of) of warm water to soak. Then while he is soaking, I'll prepare his food and place it on the feeding tile. After about 15 minutes, I'll put the baby in front of the food and step quickly out of his sight.

I don't keep Hermann's tortoises, and don't know much about them, however, we have a good care sheet on them:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63799.html

MikeyO7321

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the advice . I changed his substrate from alfalfa pellets to soil and it made a world of difference.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364685640.193760.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.