Baby Hermann flips over

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrybrowne

5 Year Member
Hi,

I keep on finding my baby hermann flipped over on his back, struggling to right himself. This happens probably 4-5 times a week and never happened the first 3 weeks he was with me. Has anyone seen this before?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
sure, people have faced this problem before. can you post pictures of your enclosure? you can get better advice that way, maybe your tort is flipping over a food bowl, half log, ledge, or climbing up corners/sides and flipping...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
We see it all the time with our hatchlings. We just keep an eye on them and right them back up. Never had one injured in any way as a result.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It all depends upon where it's happening. If it's around the perimeter of your tortoises enclosure it can be harmless. But it can also be very stressful to the tortoise. If it is taking place under a basking light or close enough that your tortoise can overheat, it can be fatal. Many tortoises, especially young ones, constantly climb the sides of their enclosures. What is your tortoises enclosure made of? It is transparent or solid? What are the temperatures within the enclosure?

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
This was happening to mine all the time when i first got him, then one day i caught him in the act, he has a half log that wasn't dug into the substrate and he was climbing the side of it and then falling off onto his back, i then dug i down into the substrate which solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.