Is my baby Hermann growing too fast?

MrJohn

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi
Can anyone help me with what should be a healthy growth rate for a Hermann please? I can find a little info on google where 4-6 grams per month is healthy?
We think he/she is just over a year old and has averaged 6.5 grams per WEEK since arriving here 5 months ago. Is this good or bad?
He/she seems very healthy, active and friendly. Eats daily like clockwork and seems in its own little routine.
Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
There’s no growth rate per say, it’s good that your tortoise is growing. Would you mind Taking a Picture?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Whats it weight now? The average gain will change as it gets bigger. I have a 9 month old at 262 grams the last time weighed so it's average gain would be about 29 grams a month since hatching, But most of the weight gain has happened in the last couple months. I also have a 6 month old that hatched at 7 grams and at last weigh in was 150 grams so the average gain is about 25 grams a month since hatching, and as the other hatchling the most gain has come in the last couple months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
Can anyone help me with what should be a healthy growth rate for a Hermann please? I can find a little info on google where 4-6 grams per month is healthy?
We think he/she is just over a year old and has averaged 6.5 grams per WEEK since arriving here 5 months ago. Is this good or bad?
He/she seems very healthy, active and friendly. Eats daily like clockwork and seems in its own little routine.
Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
They all grow at wildly different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. I wouldn't worry about this too much, as long as your temperatures and lighting are correct, you are feeding the correct foods, and there is some steady growth.

MrJohn

Newcastle upon Tyne

MrJohn

Newcastle upon Tyne
They all grow at wildly different rates and for a wide variety of reasons. I wouldn't worry about this too much, as long as your temperatures and lighting are correct, you are feeding the correct foods, and there is some steady growth.

thanks a lot this has put my mind at rest a little

MrJohn

Newcastle upon Tyne
Whats it weight now? The average gain will change as it gets bigger. I have a 9 month old at 262 grams the last time weighed so it's average gain would be about 29 grams a month since hatching, But most of the weight gain has happened in the last couple months. I also have a 6 month old that hatched at 7 grams and at last weigh in was 150 grams so the average gain is about 25 grams a month since hatching, and as the other hatchling the most gain has come in the last couple months.

thanks for your reply. Weight was 47 grams on December 26th and was 172 grams just yesterday so 6.5 ish per week

MrJohn

Newcastle upon Tyne
What are you feeding?
I try to mix it up as much as I can but mostly supermarket greens. Just put in a little bit of everything of whatever I can get. Kale, giant watercress, wild rocket, spring greens, beetroot leaves, little leaves from broccoli (if I can find any with them still on), cauliflower leaves and dandelion leaves from the garden are always a big hit! Also weekly treats of Apple, grape or the Big Favourite which he actually runs for...... Strawberry