Baby hatching

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hello,

Am after some advice please, last few days I’ve had couple of eggs hatched and today I’ve noticed on the latest egg to hatch the baby tortoise has a defect and wondering what is could be and is it harmful? I’ll attach a picture. Any help
Will be grateful.

35DE9495-D882-419F-A3DD-0AC11339A709.jpeg EC559E4A-57FE-422A-B4E5-7AA98C02626C.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's not a defect, it's just the remains of the yolk and it should absorb into the body quickly. Be careful it doesn't get punctured.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

Am after some advice please, last few days I’ve had couple of eggs hatched and today I’ve noticed on the latest egg to hatch the baby tortoise has a defect and wondering what is could be and is it harmful? I’ll attach a picture. Any help
Will be grateful.

What Yvonne said... David, You have to set this baby up correctly straight away so that the delicate yolk sac membrane isn't damaged or infected in any way. Soaking and hydration are also key for the next few weeks. Please give this a read ASAP:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
What Yvonne said... David, You have to set this baby up correctly straight away so that the delicate yolk sac membrane isn't damaged or infected in any way. Soaking and hydration are also key for the next few weeks. Please give this a read ASAP:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
Thank you for the reply, I’ve hatched 19 out of the 21 eggs laid within this hatch. Can I ask what you mean by correctly straight away? tha k you

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Thank you for the reply, I’ve hatched 19 out of the 21 eggs laid within this hatch. Can I ask what you mean by correctly straight away? tha k you
Also should I leave him in the incubator for the time being? And again thank you Tom and Yvonne.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Also should I leave him in the incubator for the time being? And again thank you Tom and Yvonne.
Also Should I remove the vermiculite from the incubator and put him in a separate container so he can’t get hurt by the others or get the yolk punctured? And again thank you for the advice

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Also Should I remove the vermiculite from the incubator and put him in a separate container so he can’t get hurt by the others or get the yolk punctured? And again thank you for the advice
I’m not a breeder but from what I’ve read, you need to take all of the hatchlings out of the vermiculite and put them in the incubator with the remaining egg shells, Rinse the shells to remove the vermiculite so that the hatchlings dont ingest the vermiculite. Soak the hatchlings daily and wait for the “ ?umbilical cord?” yoke sack to be completely absorbed before removing them to an enclosure. I’m sure I’m missing something though so listen to @Tom and forgive me if I missed something or got something wrong.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
David. If you read the thread referenced by @Tom your question will be answered. Here's what I do that is very much like Tom...

As soon as a baby emerges from an egg by itself, I will give it a bath in water kept close to the incubator temperature. I start the water at 95° and if it cools to the low 80°s I replace the water with new water at 95° again. I bathe the tortoise for about 20 min. while I prepare a box similar to the one I had the eggs in the incubator in. Except I line the bottom with damp paper towels about 4 layers thick. In spring/summer, I may also use grape leaves. I also put in a variety of 4-6 types of good food choices. Some finely chopped for easy eating. I also put in some of the egg shell the baby hatch from. I then place this container with the baby back in another incubator I use for starting hatchlings that also has an LED light for photoperiod. I keep that incubator at the same temps as the eggs were kept. You can also simply put the container back in the same incubator the eggs are kept in. I simply like to introduce a photoperiod. I keep new babies like this for about a week and bathe them daily. I ensure the paper towel substrate is clean and new food is replaced daily. I vary the diet offerings to get the baby used to eating as much variety as possible. I like the scar from the yolk sac completely healed and the baby starting to eat. I normally see some of the first signs of new growth lines appear. At that time, they are ready for their first enclosure - always kept at 82° absolute minimum and 90% humidity. Plenty of natural plant hides for security and micro climates of 100% humidity. Daily baths of 30 min or more and lots of food variety is continued...

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
David. If you read the thread referenced by @Tom your question will be answered. Here's what I do that is very much like Tom...

As soon as a baby emerges from an egg by itself, I will give it a bath in water kept close to the incubator temperature. I start the water at 95° and if it cools to the low 80°s I replace the water with new water at 95° again. I bathe the tortoise for about 20 min. while I prepare a box similar to the one I had the eggs in the incubator in. Except I line the bottom with damp paper towels about 4 layers thick. In spring/summer, I may also use grape leaves. I also put in a variety of 4-6 types of good food choices. Some finely chopped for easy eating. I also put in some of the egg shell the baby hatch from. I then place this container with the baby back in another incubator I use for starting hatchlings that also has an LED light for photoperiod. I keep that incubator at the same temps as the eggs were kept. You can also simply put the container back in the same incubator the eggs are kept in. I simply like to introduce a photoperiod. I keep new babies like this for about a week and bathe them daily. I ensure the paper towel substrate is clean and new food is replaced daily. I vary the diet offerings to get the baby used to eating as much variety as possible. I like the scar from the yolk sac completely healed and the baby starting to eat. I normally see some of the first signs of new growth lines appear. At that time, they are ready for their first enclosure - always kept at 82° absolute minimum and 90% humidity. Plenty of natural plant hides for security and micro climates of 100% humidity. Daily baths of 30 min or more and lots of food variety is continued...
Thanks for the reply and I read Tom what Tom has wrote and very helpful, I’ve had plenty of hatchling from the Leopards, I have been very successfully I was just unsure as I’ve never seen the yolk.

but again thanks for all the advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of this is explained in detail in the link I left for you. Is the link not working?