babies w soft shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
The boxie babies I have are very soft. They are about the circumference of a hair tie, if you can imagine that image. They eat well, but do not come to bask much. I supplement bugs with calcium and D3, they get natural sunshine for UVB. The plastron is mushy soft all over, easily compressible. It seems the carapace is soft, too, but harder to tell. They were hatched in an outdoor enclosure here in FL and are very sleepy. I've had them for maybe a few weeks. Is this normal softness?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Assuming that all care requirements are on point, yes, a softish plastron is normal for babies. When I hold my 11 month old 3 toe like a hamburger, I can feel her breathing with my thumb. Her hinge is also just starting to define itself. As for hiding and sleeping, again that is all normal for at least their first 1 1/2 year. I dig mine out every day for her soak and meal. She has just started to bask for 15 minutes and then it's back to her burrow.
Exciting side note: a couple days ago, at 9pm, I looked over and there she was, sitting in the middle or her enclosure looking at us. She had never come out on her own before. She trekked around for a good hour before going down for the night. That was super exciting. Spring must be in the air ( I'm in Canada so it can't come fast enough for me) ;-)

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
My little guys were up last night and this morning. I think they like the new enclosure.

I'm really concerned about trying to get them to eat a diet with a good amt of calcium.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
How old are they? The young ones tend to be more carnivorous, so rolling the bugs in calcium 2-3 times a week is good. I always have a salad available to her (Mazuri, spring mix, greens, veggies and fruit) but she's only nibbled on the Bosc pear and blackberry so far... But I'm not worried, the past few weeks she's been getting bolder and bolder, coming out on her own.

How are your babies otherwise? Are they eating well?

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
Roxie said:
My little guys were up last night and this morning. I think they like the new enclosure.

I'm really concerned about trying to get them to eat a diet with a good amt of calcium.

That small the only thing you'll be able to do it gut load rolly polly bugs and find small, tender, and CLEAN dandelion leaves.. if you can keep some rolly pollies in a container for a few days with only collard or mustard greens they'll eat thoese... careful if you put something this small down on your lawn.. blue open spaces terrifies baby turtles (Rightfully so) and if you glance away for a second they can dig right under and tall grass....

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
They seem to be doing well. They are getting just a tad more adventurous. They are not very old, born in an outdoor enclosure last year. I have some frozen roaches, defrosted them and added calcium. I saw a little guy in the feeding dish this morning chomping down. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.