AZ Stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Are there any AZ star keepers on here? If anyone has a breeding pair when is the typical egg laying season?

The research I've done suggests Decemberish, but I was only able to find two sources.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
My elegans seem to start mid to end Nov. No I'm not from Az, I'm in Hawaii, dont know if that makes a difference.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The Fife's say December to about April, but now they are giving heat at night when it starts to get cool, so the lay season is starting sooner. I want to say he said September or October now. He gave a talk at the Daytona expo on Star tortoises.

Danny

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you go to TTPG conference, you can talk to him directly. I will be going there. If you don't go, then I can ask him or another friend of mine breeding them. I know that one recently laid eggs. I don't think they were good. You are talking about indian stars right?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Mine started on Christmas day last winter (second clutch on New Years), and went through about April, like was said. I think the Fifes leave theirs out in the winter, though, where I bring mine in usually in late October and they lay indoors. We are basically the same climate as you guys in Phoenix are (we are normally a few degrees cooler).

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah I'm talking about just mainland Indian Stars. I'll be at the Friday session of the TTPG for sure, I think I'll be in and out on Thursday. Thursdays I have three classes that spread throughout the day so I'll try to talk to Jerry when I'm there.

I have a heated hide box I bring them in at night, during the day they are outside in there enclosure. Tyler, do yours stay indoors all day during the winter?

The pair I have have laid before but I forgot to ask the guy I got them from when the female nested, I was wondering if heating them up at night would affect their nesting cycle.

onarock said:
My elegans seem to start mid to end Nov. No I'm not from Az, I'm in Hawaii, dont know if that makes a difference.

Interesting, seems about this time of year is typical for stars all around the world.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I do keep mine in during the winter.... The days here in the winter aren't super cold, but still mostly in the 50's.... Bigger tortoises can hold enough body heat to run around in that (if they have a heated hidebox warming them up), but smaller things like stars just get too cold too quickly and end up sitting there, cold. I also tend to think that taking them in and out constantly (daily) just messes with their comfort level, and I think that setting them up comfortable and leaving them alone is the best way to be productive. I really don't even like bringing them in for 5 months and out for 7, I think it messes with comfort levels, but has been ok with stars.

I'll be at the Phoenix TTPG conference also, I guess my wife and I are headed down on Wednesday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.