Automatic Sulcata Door

Yellowwubiedog

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
We are thinking about re-doing our automatic door for our large sulcata. We need something to open/close his heavy door on a timer. Obviously it would need an electric eye to prevent it coming down on him. We were thinking of trying a garage door opener. Has anyone tried this? Did it work? What are the pit falls?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are thinking about re-doing our automatic door for our large sulcata. We need something to open/close his heavy door on a timer. Obviously it would need an electric eye to prevent it coming down on him. We were thinking of trying a garage door opener. Has anyone tried this? Did it work? What are the pit falls?
It is literally a matter of life and death for your tortoise that this automated system works perfectly 100% of the time at all times. Any failure or hiccup could cause the death of your tortoise. This is not a risk I would take. I check on, put away, and lock up 3 dozen tortoises every single night 365 days a year. I open all the boxes every morning to let them out. Its not that hard.

If you do an automated system, which I think would be neat-o, I suggest you check to make sure it is working correctly and your tortoise is where it is supposed to be every single night.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Sadly you just have to google auto chicken coop doors and look at the reviews in regards to chickens being almost being chopped in half. They are awesome until they fail and they do not have the fail safes like garage doors do. Good luck a safe door system would be awesome

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I rather get up and open and close it. Gives you also a chance of checking anything else. Tort with no head not good.