Automatic Misters?

Ellie933

Location (City and/or State)
Mobile Alabama
Hello all! My main question is what the general consensus is on automatic misters.
Extra info: I have a 9-month old Russian and I worry that her humidity gets too low while I am at work and/or school. I mist her enclosure at least 3 times a day, but her humidity has a tendency to drop because I keep her temperatures up. She has a humidity/ terperature gradient in her enclosure, but she mostly likes to stay in the drier areas. I was wondering if an automatic mister could help with this? Thanks in advance, this forum always gives great advice! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The problem is you need a closed chamber. Enclose it with a tent of plastic if needed.
Post a pic of the enclosure and we can tell you where or what can be done
Misters are not recommended. They would need to be a warm air mister, but again, not needed and not recommended.

Ellie933

Mobile Alabama
Hi! Her enclosure has an open gridded top, but her humid hide has a full covering. This is a similar product to the one I have

Attachments

• 61l-OHa7dRL.jpg
    61l-OHa7dRL.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah, they shouldn't even sell those, they are junk and not correct.
If you can, prop the top open, at least the one with the wire on it. Hang the lights from the propped up top and then place plastic over the whole thing. Sealing it as much as you can but having an area that can be lifted for feeding etc.
Or buy a pop up green house and use that as the enclosure

Ellie933

Mobile Alabama
Oh! I didn't realize just how bad they were! 😬
I've been working on finding another bigger enclosure since she isn't just a 2 inch tort anymore, but I will definitely use this method for the time being! Do you have any brand recommendations?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all! My main question is what the general consensus is on automatic misters.
Extra info: I have a 9-month old Russian and I worry that her humidity gets too low while I am at work and/or school. I mist her enclosure at least 3 times a day, but her humidity has a tendency to drop because I keep her temperatures up. She has a humidity/ terperature gradient in her enclosure, but she mostly likes to stay in the drier areas. I was wondering if an automatic mister could help with this? Thanks in advance, this forum always gives great advice! :)
I agree with Barb. The solution is not to keep adding ever more water, but to stop the current water from leaving in the first place. Open topped enclosures can work for older larger tortoises, but closed chambers are better for babies.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
No mister required, save your money. You need to look at the enclosure set up and use a plant water sprayer to spritz the substrate.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
yeah those are junk, other than what is nice is you can string them together like a "habitrail" for hamsters. I have four of them strung together for my inside/night box, but that still wouldn't be big enough for an adult to be in full time.

Ellie933

Mobile Alabama
yeah those are junk, other than what is nice is you can string them together like a "habitrail" for hamsters. I have four of them strung together for my inside/night box, but that still wouldn't be big enough for an adult to be in full time.
I know, I am upgrading soon! She is only 9 months old and I have had her since she was 1 month old, so the space is growing with her. :)
Thanks to everyone for providing such useful information! I have put a plastic covering over the top to keep more moisture in for the time being until her new and improved enclosure is fully ready! <3