At wits end.. not sure what else to try..

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
It is so lovely when the disciple becomes the teacher! Tom know a few things or such! Thanks to him I have to healthy and happy torst!

JumpingTortoises

Hernando, Ms
So, we have discovered through research that it’s probably a urate stone. He’s pushed it all the way to his tail end, but it appears stuck. It’s white, it’s hard and quite large. With 2-3 soaks a day since we’ve had him I don’t know how this has been able to form.

We have attempted to get it out by squeezing and with a dental pick, but the little guy sucks it back up into his tail. We’ve decided to give him a break for the night to rest and try it again tomorrow. I think it is too large for him to physically pass on his own. Prayers please... he’s been such a fighter.

Sa Ga

MN
Try banana. Not a ton per time, 1/4 inch thick slice or so per day. Morla has had trouble w/ constipation and this helps immensely. Also keeping him very hydrated and very warm.

Since I started:
A.) tube feeding water to Morla (my adult Russian) 3x daily (15 ml in AM, 10 ml afternoon, and 10 ml bf bed)--she doesn't drink enough on her own,
B.) a long daily soak (30 min total--and yes, I stay w/ her the whole time!), and
C.) pet heat pad time after eating (30-45 min) ...
She pees 1-3 x and poops at least 1x per day.

If she doesn't poo, I give her the banana slice and pat her several times per day (for a few minutes per time, put her up against my shoulder like burping a baby, but more on the lower end of her shell, wrapped in a towel or puppy pee pad) until she goes. She's always gone by the 3rd day.

Poop-happy thoughts sent your way and please keep us posted!

Sa Ga

MN
I just read your post. Morla hasn't had any stones (yet!) but she doesn't drink really on her own and I was soaking her 2x daily when I first got her. It was her peeing brown one night that made me rush her to the vet and learn she was dangerously dehydrated (which can cause stones).

I'd get him to a vet asap, as they can not only help him pass it, but also test for kidney disease (what Morla has, due to bad diet and prolonged dehydration from the owners bf me), which can also contribute to stones because of calcium and urates not being filtered correctly (have vet do a metabolic panel blood test which tests calcium, urate, phospherous, protein, etc. In the blood).

Unfortunately, chronic kidney disease is incurable, but by identifying it as early as possible, you'll be aware. Then with relatively simple care steps, (watching hydration and keeping lowest protein intake possible), you can slow any progression and greatly prolong his life, if not simply prevent more stones.

Please get him to a vet asap, to get him tested for CKD/ any remaining stones asap, if not just get that present stone out. It's extremely painful and damaging for them!

Please keep us posted!!!

JumpingTortoises

Hernando, Ms
I just read your post. Morla hasn't had any stones (yet!) but she doesn't drink really on her own and I was soaking her 2x daily when I first got her. It was her peeing brown one night that made me rush her to the vet and learn she was dangerously dehydrated (which can cause stones).

I'd get him to a vet asap, as they can not only help him pass it, but also test for kidney disease (what Morla has, due to bad diet and prolonged dehydration from the owners bf me), which can also contribute to stones because of calcium and urates not being filtered correctly (have vet do a metabolic panel blood test which tests calcium, urate, phospherous, protein, etc. In the blood).

Unfortunately, chronic kidney disease is incurable, but by identifying it as early as possible, you'll be aware. Then with relatively simple care steps, (watching hydration and keeping lowest protein intake possible), you can slow any progression and greatly prolong his life, if not simply prevent more stones.

Please get him to a vet asap, to get him tested for CKD/ any remaining stones asap, if not just get that present stone out. It's extremely painful and damaging for them!

Please keep us posted!!!

I will as soon as I can. Unfortunately with this Covid rubbish, they are not in until Monday. He’s about a month old.. so I’m hoping it’s not chronic kidney disease just yet. I believe that the breeder just didn’t get him enough water or water soaked greens. He’s been straining since I got him, 3 weeks ago. I have been soaking 2-3 times a day and he’s drank almost each time and has been passing water and some white slimy urates. This has been slowly making its way through him for a few weeks and has now just gotten to the end. I have managed to break up some pieces of it and he’s been able to pass a few small chunks. We will keep chipping away at it carefully.

JumpingTortoises

Hernando, Ms
Update: the urate stone is out. We chipped away at it for over a week. We have a fogger in his viv and we have coco coir mixed with orchid bark. We wet the coco coir daily and the fogger runs for 8 hours and he gets water soaks twice a day for an hour each time. I’m hoping this is the only stone he has formed. I pulled the last piece out this morning. He seems so relieved. He’s eating and exploring his viv as usual.. whew!!! Thanks for all the advice and well wishes!

Attachments

• A44FD0F8-3EE2-4DE9-9FBB-0B3B631867CE.jpeg
    A44FD0F8-3EE2-4DE9-9FBB-0B3B631867CE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12