Around what age does pyramiding start to form in Hermann's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia, United States
I'm just curious so that I know what/when to look for it if for whatever reason it happens to my tortoise. Even if I think I'm doing everything right for Morgan, I want to make sure I keep my mistakes to a minimum.

I'm concerned about humidity. I use coco coir and topsoil with some sphagnum moss. Still a bit difficult. However, I do soak my tortoise every day for 30 minutes a day, as well as spray the the enclosure, underneath hides (which keep sphagnum moss as the main substrate), and I spray his shell when I spray the enclosure (1-4 times a day).

Just wanted to make sure everything is going well in that aspect, and if spraying and long soaks help even if I don't have a closed chamber enclosure.

Thanks for any help/feedback

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
what are your temps and what is the humidity level? pyramiding can happen at any age, but hatchlings are more susceptible to it.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, your tort could pyramid, no matter how well you have him set up, if he wasn't hatched and cared for properly before you got them. However, keeping them the correct way, will diminish the affects of poor care before you.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
I can't give you a good humidity number, because it varies so much throughout the day. I assume it's because on the other side of the living room I have an AC so it may mess with the humidity when it turns on/off throughout the day. Usually doesn't go above 50% or so though. I have not checked what it's like within the hides, though the sphagnum moss within the hides are moist. I'm not too concerned now, but I know that in a few weeks it will get much colder, the heat will come on, and will potentially make it dry in my house.

However, would misting his shell 3-4 times a day as well as spraying the enclosure, long daily soaks, and a humid hide be able to offset that my tort table is open and that the humidity varies wildly?

Basking temp is 95- 100 depending on the time of day. The lowest it gets on the cool end is 70, but is usually around 75.

He's only about 3 months old, so I doubt I would be able to notice it yet. I do show you guys pictures often, so I hope that if for whatever reason he does pyramid and I just can't tell because of my untrained eyes, you guys would tell me. :) Just want to make sure I offset it as much as possible before it happens, and if it does happen, I want to make sure I can do my best to fix the problem.

Thanks for your help you guys.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know what the humidity is suppose to be for a hermanns. However, a cover on the table will help a lot more then an open top. Even if you covered the end with the humid hide would be better then a open top.

Status
Not open for further replies.