Arizona Snowcap

Boarbot78

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello all- I seek assistance! Would it be safe to plant an Arizona Snowcap succulent (below) in my tortoises habitat- with the chance that she may eat it. My tortoise is a marinated tortoise.

I have not been able to find anything online, other than the fact that is a generally non toxic plant- so all advice would be welcome.

Attachments

• B821568B-2A43-4E60-8921-CAB1858E7D54.jpeg
    B821568B-2A43-4E60-8921-CAB1858E7D54.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 6

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello all- I seek assistance! Would it be safe to plant an Arizona Snowcap succulent (below) in my tortoises habitat- with the chance that she may eat it. My tortoise is a marinated tortoise.

I have not been able to find anything online, other than the fact that is a generally non toxic plant- so all advice would be welcome.
Welcome to the forum. It's late but I can't help myself...what is your tort marinated in?

Seriously, if you type in the succulent name in the search mechanism on this site, you will probably find your answer. There are all kinds of threads on-site about food good for torts.

Someone will be along to help as well. And spell check on my phone does the same thing to me--making up words instead of what I typed or rewriting what I typed.

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Are you sure that’s what it is? Arizona Snowcap is a cactus, something in the Mammillaria genus; I’m not sure of the family but it should be safe. Where did you get it? I note the picture says “Canvas art” at the bottom.

Maybe Mammeria vetula? And yes, she might eat it. If she is a juvenile or full grown the prickles won’t hurt her.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Looks too spiky. I would not go there. They like to trample and investigate and could get hurt.

Boarbot78

London
Welcome!

Are you sure that’s what it is? Arizona Snowcap is a cactus, something in the Mammillaria genus; I’m not sure of the family but it should be safe. Where did you get it? I note the picture says “Canvas art” at the bottom.

Maybe Mammeria vetula? And yes, she might eat it. If she is a juvenile or full grown the prickles won’t hurt her.
Thank you, this actual plant in question is pictured below, and it came with a label saying Arizona Snowcap in. She is quite the consumer so probably would have a munch, that’s why I ask. Thank you for all the help!

Attachments

• 24ABF143-63E4-4BCD-9DBD-849E9A589299.jpeg
    24ABF143-63E4-4BCD-9DBD-849E9A589299.jpeg
    849.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 8C816879-9B2D-4F47-8D67-411AC34D8FC4.jpeg
    8C816879-9B2D-4F47-8D67-411AC34D8FC4.jpeg
    947 KB · Views: 5

Boarbot78

London
Welcome to the forum. It's late but I can't help myself...what is your tort marinated in?

Seriously, if you type in the succulent name in the search mechanism on this site, you will probably find your answer. There are all kinds of threads on-site about food good for torts.

Someone will be along to help as well. And spell check on my phone does the same thing to me--making up words instead of what I typed or rewriting what I typed.
My Marginated tortoise is freshly marinated in a combination of soy, ginger, garlic, sake and mirin. Also I checked and there are definitely no other threads talking about the plant in question... thanks!