Are we allowed to give hibiscus to sulcata?

JWiediyanto

So I read tom's thread about sulcata and I'm just confused for the hibiscus. It is written there that we can give hibiscus leaves but can I give the flower as well? If it is yes can I mix the flower and leaves all together at one time? Thx

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Both flower and leaf are okay to feed. The leaf is a better regular diet food. The flower is more of a treat than an every day serving. Be sure that the plant you are feed from has no pesticides or fertilizers. I only feed from the plants in my yard to be sure that they have not been treated with chemicals that could harm my tortoise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This includes the tropical hibiscus, the hardy hibiscus and the Althea/Rose of Sharon bush types. *scratches head* seem I am missing a group....

JWiediyanto

How do you know if there's no chemical in the plant? Because I just bought the plant just now. And yah

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Well, if you bought the plant from a nursery or retail store then you can be certain that is has been treated. They want the plants to look their best so that they sell. Keep the plant, just don't feed it to your tortoise right away. Let it grow for six months to a year and then it should be okay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For the next year try to find long established hibiscus bushes that you are sure are not treated with any chemicals. After that you should be able to feed the new growth from your hibiscus with no problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This includes the tropical hibiscus, the hardy hibiscus and the Althea/Rose of Sharon bush types. *scratches head* seem I am missing a group....

The different mallow plants are in the hibiscus family of plants.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Unless you live in a perfect part of the world where freezing temps NEVER happen...then I would avoid the tropical species of hibiscus...they will usually die off if they have to be subjected to freezing temps...the hardy hibiscus would be able to handle the freezing temps....and yes, the flowers and the leaves are all good and feed away....

M

Maggie Cummings

I grow Rose of Sharon in our freezing temps and they do well...here's Bob last year, he loves the blooms. But then I guess he'll eat anything... IMG_0775.JPG

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The tropical do a pretty good job of surviving as houseplants for me (and I kill everything), so that might be another option if you live in a cold area like I do for the winter.