Are they healthy?

Ranger406

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
Good afternoon, Everyone. I am new to this forum and have not purchased my tortoise(s) yet. I was referred to a private breeder in Nevada who is selling 5.5" Yearlings for $150 each and these are the pictures that were sent to me. When I saw the pics, it looks to me like they could already be showing signs of pyramiding, but I wanted to seek the perspective of you who already have Sulcatas with some experience under their belts.
The first question I have is whether or not these look like they are healthy and a good choice for a first Sulcata tortoise.
The second question is whether I should buy 1 or 2. I have read conflicting articles that say to buy in pairs or more and some that said only to buy one unless my intent was to breed.
Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I hope you are all staying healthy and safe during this time!

SIngle.JPGGroup.JPGPair.png

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Those torts are Pyramiding awfully. No way I'd buy a Tortoise from that breeder.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just to expand a little on Todd's statement - because they are SO pyramided at such a young age, there's a real possibility their internal parts have been damaged. Being raised too dry, as is evidenced by the pyramiding, causes more problems than cosmetic.

Unless you have room and money enough to set up two separate enclosures, don't get two. Tortoises are solitary, territorial animals and will fight to chase other tortoises away.

Ranger406

Orange County, California
Just to expand a little on Todd's statement - because they are SO pyramided at such a young age, there's a real possibility their internal parts have been damaged. Being raised too dry, as is evidenced by the pyramiding, causes more problems than cosmetic.

Unless you have room and money enough to set up two separate enclosures, don't get two. Tortoises are solitary, territorial animals and will fight to chase other tortoises away.

Thank you so much for your response and information! I will definitely keep that in mind for my search! Do you all have any recommendations for reputable breeders?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An important thing to understand is that very few breeders start this species correctly. I know of four. That's it. Almost everyone starts them too dry, houses them outside all day, doesn't soak them often enough, and doesn't introduce the right foods or enough variety of foods. Its terribly sad, but that is just how it is right now. I hope things get better as time passes.

Along with this sad situation, more of the "research" people do leads them to this same old, wrong info on sulcata care. Anyone telling you to get two doesn't know what they are talking about, and can't be trusted as an information source. I would refuse to sell two to a single buyer, unless they were going to be housed separately. Groups can usually work, but not pairs.

Here is the correct care info:

Reputable breeders that will be able to sell you a healthy baby:
Me. I have a bunch hatching right now.
@Markw84 Mark
@Lancecham Lance
@Arizona Sulcata Austin

If anyone reading this knows of other breeders that start babies in warm humid indoor enclosures, soak daily, and offer a wide variety of foods, please message me with their contact info. I'd like to add them to the list.

Here is what can happen when they are started too dry:

By contrast, here is how they should be started:

The two above threads will help you understand what questions to ask of any breeder you find. Questions and conversation are welcome.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree totally with what has been said so far. These tirtoises have extreme pyramiding and are fairly small for 1 year olds. Those tortoises are not 5.5”. If you look, they are perhaps the size of the width of the hand holding them at most. Just for comparison here’s a picture today of some 5 month olds I have Notice the dark area of growth between the original scute centers it is about the same width as the ones in your picture it is also flat and level - no pyramiding 111D0711-7FAF-40D0-9585-09BB40E3EA9C.jpeg1FDDCD05-0212-4867-A109-6AA9510187B1.jpeg

Last edited: