are these both red eared sliders??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason g.

5 Year Member
I was given these 2 baby turtles. A person at my work had gotten there kids a couple turtles. They heard they contracted samanila and gave them to me. They are about the size of a quarter. Lil bigger. Lol
2012-11-16_00-24-48_515.jpg

2012-11-16_00-22-03_119.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not real good at I.D.ing water turtles, however, I don't believe either one of those is a red ear.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Really that's cool!! Any ideas what kind they are. Can you believe someone was gonna flush those cuties. :( not if I'm within ear shot. Lol

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Looks to me like you have one red ear slider and one yellow belly slider.
Could you post a photo of their plastron?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Red Ear or Integrade on top, Yellowbelly on the bottom from what I can see. You would need Plastron shot to give a better idea of what you have......

jason g.

5 Year Member
pam said:
Love the names :) Ying and Yang :)

Lol I named them lynard and skynard my daughter said I don't think so its ying and yang or peanut butter and jelly. Lol we went with ying and yang cause one was dark and one was light. Lol

jason g.

5 Year Member
Are those of the plastron good enough?its kinda weird having these little guys after having my African sulcata. Lol easier to care for that's for sure!!?

jason g.

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'm assumeing care and feeding is the same for all sliders.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't be fooled by the patch of red on the first tortoise's neck. There are other water turtles that have that red mark. This turtle just doesn't have the patterning on the carapace that red ears have. He's either NOT a red ear, or he's some sort of hybrid.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Don't be fooled by the patch of red on the first tortoise's neck. There are other water turtles that have that red mark. This turtle just doesn't have the patterning on the carapace that red ears have. He's either NOT a red ear, or he's some sort of hybrid.

That is not true at all......Pattern or color really doesn't define a Red Ear Slider in the least.......Plastron and marginal markings do......

By this logic, all the Pastel Red Ears in captivity are not Red Eared Sliders, which they most certainly are.......This animal may also be a Cumberlund Slider, but that isn't too far removed from a Red Ear seeing that Cumberlund Sliders are basically relic Red Ear Integrades to begin with.......

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
EricIvins said:
emysemys said:

That is not true at all......Pattern or color really doesn't define a Red Ear Slider in the least.......Plastron and marginal markings do......

By this logic, all the Pastel Red Ears in captivity are not Red Eared Sliders, which they most certainly are.......This animal may also be a Cumberlund Slider, but that isn't too far removed from a Red Ear seeing that Cumberlund Sliders are basically relic Red Ear Integrades to begin with.......

Looks more like a Rio Grande Slider, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.