Are these beets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello! Could anyone please help me identify this? I bought the seed mix and I don't know exactly what were in there. Does this look like beet? Not that I like to eat beet that much anyway, but it would be cool if they are! Then I can feed the leaves to my torts and I'll eat the beets later. :)

Thank you!

Attachments

• image-3434484455.png
    image-3434484455.png
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image-4245210004.png
    image-4245210004.png
    942.8 KB · Views: 21

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
Thanks guys! I only had the white radish before and never tried the red one... So the leaves are edible for torts and the root is edible for us? What a great plant! Haha...

Just out of curiosity, how did you guys distinguish between radish and beet? I just google them and them look the same to me... :p

Is it because the beet leaves should have some red veins?

M.Curie

5 Year Member
Canada
taurusgi said:
Thanks guys! I only had the white radish before and never tried the red one... So the leaves are edible for torts and the root is edible for us? What a great plant! Haha...

Just out of curiosity, how did you guys distinguish between radish and beet? I just google them and them look the same to me... :p

Is it because the beet leaves should have some red veins?

The stalk, vein and midrib of the red beet green is red..it can sometimes look purple , unless they're golden beets in which case the stalk vein and midrib would be yellow. Radish greens tend to be all green and the leaves are generally smaller in size. Or at least that's how I tell them apart. Either way you look like you're going to have some nice radishes YUM!!:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I skipped past worrying about the leaves and stem, instead I just looked at what was poking it's head out of the ground. :cool: Beets look different then radishes.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
Cool! Thanks again. This forum is really full of knowledgeable people!

Can't wait for them to grow bigger and start looking for radish recipe! :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I just looked at what was poking it's head out of the ground. :cool: Beets look different then radishes.

Ditto....but I was impressed with the leaf info....for real :D

oh yeah, beets.....ewwwwwww :p

Status
Not open for further replies.