Are Succulents from Lowe’s safe?

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
Hello, I will be getting an eastern Hermanns tortoise in a few weeks and I’m getting the enclosure set up. Today I bought a few succulents from Lowe’s (Aloe, Hawthoria, and Sedum). Are these safe to put in the enclosure and okay if the tort eats them? I know the type of plant is safe but I’m concerned they could possibly have been treated with pesticides? Does anyone have any experience with this? Also is there a specific type of potting soil that is unsafe to be used? I have potting soil with fertilizer for my plants, will that be an issue?
Any help will be much appreciated!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Many of those plants have been treated with pesticides.
Replace the soil. Wash the roots and the NEW growth should be relatively safe.
Aloe, etc I grow here in almost plain sand in my yard. It grows with little nutrients just fine. But many plants (most) don't thrive in a lower light and trample prone tortoise enclosure anyway.
Prepare to have replacement plants ready.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Many of those plants have been treated with pesticides.
Replace the soil. Wash the roots and the NEW growth should be relatively safe.
Aloe, etc I grow here in almost plain sand in my yard. It grows with little nutrients just fine. But many plants (most) don't thrive in a lower light and trample prone tortoise enclosure anyway.
Prepare to have replacement plants ready.
I will have them in small pots so I am hoping they won’t be trampled, not right away anyways. I can definitely wash the roots and put new soil in. Is there a special type of soil that should be used? I have regular potting soil with fertilizer, is that ok?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I ment I was also uncertain, so I planted the hibuscus in the same soil it came, so now I have to wait for about a year, but luckily succulents are different

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Southern state (near me) have organic. FYI

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
I am leaning towards just putting some fake plants in the enclosure to start off. I will try to have them out of reach but I figure if a bite is taken out of a fake plant it won’t be as dangerous as the tort eating a real plant that contains chemicals.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am leaning towards just putting some fake plants in the enclosure to start off. I will try to have them out of reach but I figure if a bite is taken out of a fake plant it won’t be as dangerous as the tort eating a real plant that contains chemicals.
Actually it's just as dangerous because plastic plants can't be digested and might not pass through the digestive system and cause a blockage that may need surgery to remove

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I will have them in small pots so I am hoping they won’t be trampled, not right away anyways. I can definitely wash the roots and put new soil in. Is there a special type of soil that should be used? I have regular potting soil with fertilizer, is that ok?
Don't use the potting soil that contains it's own fertilizer granules.
Use plain potting soil and if you think its neccessary, use some water based liquid fertilizer.
Some tortoises will pick out and eat perlite and other colored granules.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Actually it's just as dangerous because plastic plants can't be digested and might not pass through the digestive system and cause a blockage that may need surgery to remove
?? well shoot. So enclosures should only contain live plants that are guaranteed to be organic/home grown? I’m not sure I can keep a plant alive that long ?