Are red lights safe

HollyAbigail

I'm getting a Viv and everything from a friend, he only has a red light, is it safe for a red-footed tortoise? And will it keep the Viv hot enough? Or should I buy a normal ceramic heater bulb?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
I believe red lights ard better than coil bulbs, but can still cause loss of eye sight.

Skymall007

5 Year Member
I prefer Ceramic, in my experience they heat better, I don't have to worry about lighting that could hurt my tort or keep him awake, and plus I have red light for my hermits (the nocturnal kind) and in my experience they also fail more often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer not to use colored bulbs at all, but especially in the day time. I would use a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat to control the ambient day and night, and then use a low wattage flood bulb to make a basking spot if you desire one.

In the redfoot section, you will find all sorts of info on how to set them up.

HollyAbigail

Thank you guys:) so if I go with ceramic , do I put it on one side to create a hot side?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RFs need warmth all over. Where you put it will largely depend on your individual enclosure and the temperature that you wich to maintain within it. There isn't a set answer for this. The are many variable to consider. In most cases a single bulb or heating element is not going to get the job done for any species.

HollyAbigail

Okay how does a ceramic heatih lamp on one side and a UVB in the center sound? Or is that too much?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What sort of UV bulb? Florescents give no heat. MVBs might be too bright and hot for a RF.

You will have to set it up, run it and make adjustments to get the temps and lighting just right.

I can tell you how to best do this for the species I keep, but a RF keeper should share specifics with you for that species.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Red lights used here at night as well for the Redfoot torts here....the ceramic heat emitter seemed to dry it up to fast...so there were extreme dry and wet moments in the beginning...so, for night temp I use red and also black light bulbs for the heat....no problems.