Are my torts healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peyton

5 Year Member
I'm new to the forum and I have two 3 month old baby hermann tortoises and I just want to make sure they are healthy

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1371707397.638874.jpg

Calcuta+sage=[HEAVY BLACK HEART]

Forgot to add sage is the lighter one and Calcuta is the darker one

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Beautiful little torts....please do keep an eye on their behavior....pairs have a hard time living in harmony....and the body language on the trailing one should be watched---seems a little hesitant in comparison to the body language of the other tort....

abclements

5 Year Member
They look good to me! Are the eating pooing and fairly active? If so then you've got healthy torts lol it's really hard to tell just through pics

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Peyton

5 Year Member
When they get older I'm going to separate them or when i start seeing fighting

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I don't think you should wait for bullying to start. Step up and prevent it now before its to late. Get another enclosure and separate them. You might think its cute that they are "buddies" and in the same cage, but bullying is most likely going to happen. If it does, one of the torts will stop eating, stay in one spot, and appear sick. You don't want that to happen do you? Take action now and separate them so they both are growing at a healthy rate and are living in the best possible way. So far they look good physically

Peyton

5 Year Member
Thank you all when I move into my new house in July I'm going to separate them

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Peyton, congrats on your new babies! So cute. :) can I ask what types of bulbs you have on them? This is going to be a critical step in making sure they stay healthy.
The majority of us (correct me if I'm wrong y'all ) use MVB (mercury vapor bulbs) during the day and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night which emits heat but not light. The MVB provides UVA/UVB which baby torts need when they are still inside. Also make you take em out for some roaming time in the natural sun :)

Also- what are you feeding the babies? Diet is also critical. Keep us posted and congrats again!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

Peyton

5 Year Member
I have a zoo med tortoise heat lamp that provides both heat and UVB and they eat spring mix which i sprinkle with calcium powder. this summer I am going to let them roam outside. but at night I turn off the light and the house is 70 degrees it is usually 90 degrees

I use to have a coil bulb but I took it out once I herd it causes eye problems

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There is no way to really tell if your tortoises are healthy or not based on the photos. They look good and as long as they're active, eating well, drinking and otherwise acting normal you can say that they're probably healthy. There is also no reason whatsoever to seperate them at the size that they are. As long as both have enough room for activity they're fine. You may never have to seperate them as adults either. Only time will tell. Tortoises don't "bully" each other, only humans do (supposedly). They will as young and mature adults, often develop territorial and sexual dominance. "Bullying" is a term best kept to the description of human action since it is different than what the majority of animal species do and for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.