Are gourds safe?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I purchased some gords today, and I was wondering if I could use them in my tortoise enclosure as a decoration for thanksgiving. Are they safe if a tortoise were to nibble on them?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RE: Are gords safe?

Among the variety of edible gourds are:

Decorative Squash: A winter variety that is usually used in centerpieces or décor, thanks to its unusual shapes and markings.

Delicata/Sweet Potato Squash: Oblong in shape, this squash is available year-round and is generally yellow in color.

Eight-Ball Squash: Fat and round, this gourd is the spherical version of a zucchini, with the same general color, tones and taste.

Fairytale Pumpkin: Flat-shaped and generally best in the winter months, this tender and sweet gourd is orange or brown in color.

Gold Ball Squash: Similar to gold zucchini, this gourd is about the size of a fist and lends itself well to a variety of dips.

Gold Nugget Squash: Deep orange and reminiscent of a pumpkin in shape, only smaller, this gourd, available year-round, is blander than most and therefore takes better to seasonings.

Gooseneck Squash: Best in winter, this aptly-named gourd is identifiable by its goose’s neck shape.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
ascott said:
Among the variety of edible gourds are:

Decorative Squash: A winter variety that is usually used in centerpieces or décor, thanks to its unusual shapes and markings.

Delicata/Sweet Potato Squash: Oblong in shape, this squash is available year-round and is generally yellow in color.

Eight-Ball Squash: Fat and round, this gourd is the spherical version of a zucchini, with the same general color, tones and taste.

Fairytale Pumpkin: Flat-shaped and generally best in the winter months, this tender and sweet gourd is orange or brown in color.

Gold Ball Squash: Similar to gold zucchini, this gourd is about the size of a fist and lends itself well to a variety of dips.

Gold Nugget Squash: Deep orange and reminiscent of a pumpkin in shape, only smaller, this gourd, available year-round, is blander than most and therefore takes better to seasonings.

Gooseneck Squash: Best in winter, this aptly-named gourd is identifiable by its goose’s neck shape.

So are gourds safe for decorative purposes in an enclosure?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Safe, but you'll see nibbles taken from here & there ... I like making Gord mash ... They loves it