Are glass terrariums bad for tortoises?

Kjuba

Location (City and/or State)
Czech republic
I have a glass terrarium right now, and im about to get a bigger one but i heard glass is bad for them. Is it true?

Kjuba

Czech republic
No they are not bad for hatchings. However, aquariums are not for juniors and adults, they are too small for anything older than say two to three years of age depending on the species. Some only a year.
My little guy is around two years old so i want to buy a bigger one. I also heard tortoise tables are good, but arent those going to be small too?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is a tort table 6'x2.5' too small for a 2 yr old RF?
@ZEROPILOT can answer that better than I can. I don't know how big a RF at that age usually is. Most species, except the large ones, can likely live in that size for 2 to 3 years.
When I had baby leopards, that size would be good for 3 years.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a Hermann's.
If it were me, I would build a table for it now, that is the right size for when it's an adult. 4x8 foot and you can build it with a frame top so you can drape plastic over it for one more year at least and also hang your lights from. Then you don't have to build again down the road in a year or two.
@Yvonne G has pictures of hers that has the upper frame if she will post it again to show you.

Kjuba

Czech republic
If it were me, I would build a table for it now, that is the right size for when it's an adult. 4x8 foot and you can build it with a frame top so you can drape plastic over it for one more year at least and also hang your lights from. Then you don't have to build again down the road in a year or two.
@Yvonne G has pictures of hers that has the upper frame if she will post it again to show you.
Is a frame top the wood part above the tortoise table? Like you put a hook on it for the light?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a glass terrarium right now, and im about to get a bigger one but i heard glass is bad for them. Is it true?
No they are not bad for tortoises. That is an old persistent myth. Me and several other experienced members here have started 1000s of babies in glass tanks. The problem with glass tanks is that they are too small for anything but a baby.

Large open tortoise tables can work for adult Testudo if the room temperatures are within range, but its easier to maintain a better living environment for them in a large closed chamber.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That size is probably adequate. But it won't be for long. So larger now is going to be your best bet.
Also, tables in general aren't a good fit for Redfoot because they suck at holding in humidity and will rot if you attempt it.
@ZEROPILOT can answer that better than I can. I don't know how big a RF at that age usually is. Most species, except the large ones, can likely live in that size for 2 to 3 years.
When I had baby leopards, that size would be good for 3 years.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That size is probably adequate. But it won't be for long. So larger now is going to be your best bet.
Also, tables in general aren't a good fit for Redfoot because they suck at holding in humidity and will rot if you attempt it.
Yeah, I never did tables until they were adults and outside to live. The winter shed has tables.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is what I refer to...Logan is 5.5"scl now, he's 2 years old and eats like a Sulcata...DSCN1708.JPG
it keeps an 85 to 90 degree temp with 80% humidity
oops! Hijacked...so sorry...DSCN1709.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Usually glass aquariums and terrariums are to tall for the hobby and very narrow compared to the length.
Having a custom made glass enclosure that is very large is a possibility. But it'd be very expensive. And very heavy.