Archimedes eyes

jackmeggers

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton Roads, Va
We have upgraded everything since we adopted Archimedes, except his uvb bulb. His previous owners had him in a 10 gal with a coil bulb and after reading about the coil kind being bad for a tortoise's eyes I've decided to get a mercury vapor on pay day. My question is: do his eyes look ok? I just want to make sure his time under the improper uvb hasn't done major damage. He was a little sleepy at the time and kept closing them. I've also included his new set up, complete with garden. Thanks
1391025257116.jpg
1391025275178.jpg

Attachments

• 1391025466662.jpg
    1391025466662.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look a little funny too me. However, it takes about a week or so to clear up from being under the bad coil bulbs. Be sure to keep soaking him in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes. Also, if you still have him in a 10 gallon, get that upgraded to a much bigger enclosure ASAP. If you have t yet, please read Toms threads below for proper housing and care of your little sulcata.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
I posted a pic of his current enclosure as well. I posted with my phone so I may have posted to the wrong forum, but he is supposedly an Iberia Greek. That is what I was told when asked the forum. Thank you I thought they looked a little odd.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, turn off the light immediately. Going a few days without UVB isn't going to harm the tortoise, but having that light shining on him is.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Thank you Yvonne. I had read Tom's post about them, I'll order the mv bulb asap. On a side note: his garden is coming up and it looks great :D He seems happy other than the eye issue.

Flukers 100w uvb/heat mercury vapor bulb ordered, should be here by the weekend.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Turn off the coiled ASAP! not having UVB for couple of days or so wouldnt harm him. Soak soak soak... his eyes looks caved in so he looks dehydrated. baby food soak should help resolve this issue. ^_^

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
He soaks regularly. We soak him daily and he soaks himself. His new enclosure is a tad drier because of the added heat and for the sake of the plants we have started spraying it down as needed. I have turned off the coil uvb and ordered the mvb replacement. Thanks everyone. I'll up his soaking as well.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Just an update! The new bulb arrived today and though I'm not home the bf put it in and said it puts out a good amount of heat and Archimedes is loving it, so thank you! Question though, should I get some aquatic turtle eye drops for him or should his eyes clear up on their own? I haven't seen tortoise drops.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
I can see a slight difference, I'm working until 11 pm today but I'll post new pics tonight or tomorrow morning. He keeps them open more now. The bulb came in yesterday afternoon so he hadn't had a full day of it yet. this is probably his first real experience with good UVB. I got the Flukers SunForce Mercury Vapor Bulbs (100 Watts) hoping it would be a nice basking lamp for him as well. I didn't realize it was so huge!! I hope it isn't 2 bright for him... I'm new to the UVB bulb world, did I get a good one?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Check your temperatures under the bulb and compare that to the advised basking temperatures for your Greek. Also check the temperatures away from the bulb. I like using a temperature gun. Available at most home improvement stores.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
The temperatures are where they are supposed to be and I have 2 spare basking bulbs on hand if needed. I was just worried about the brightness of the bulb itself, and the quality of the brand. But thank you :)

funbean

Well I'm realizing that Greeks are smart my temps are right under the MVB. My tort moves of to the side just a bit and moves back and forth depending on if he gets to warm. I had reptiles most of my life and they don't no better to move if it's to hot